Sign in to follow this  
toc26

Brake

toc26

I have a 1981 Wheel Horse B165, ID #02-16BP02-10281. I need to replace the spring that pulls the break pedal back to position after released. I also need to adjust the break after attaching the spring. Can anyone tell me where to attach the spring on the chasis? Also, how do I determine when the compression spring on the break pedal rod is properly adjusted? I had to drop the transmission to work on it and the break spring disappeared and I did not see how it was connected.

The sping is number 45 on the parts diagram. The break mechanism is part of the transmission and I cannot find any detail for it.

This is my first Wheel Horse. Thanks for any help.

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 52 )

pdf.gif

Break_Diagram.pdf

bmuone

toc I have been looking at the diagram you have for your tractor. I have a 211-4 which is an entirely different setup. However mine does have two springs as you have. On mine: Spring one....one end attaches to the idler arm and the other end attaches to a frame opening to the rear right side (as you are sitting on seat). Spring two....one end attaches to the idler arm and the other end to the transmission brake lever.

bmuone

Oh yeah and on tension I will quote the operators manual:

"Brake adjustment is made at brake caliper. Block wheels to prevent tractor from rolling and place transmission shift lever in neutral for brake adjustment.

1. Check that trans brake lever is contacting bolt when brake pedal is released. If it does not, brake pads will drag on disc while tractor is being operated. If applicable, adjust clutch/brake rod.

2. With clutch/brake pedal released, loosen or tighten adjustment nut until brake dis is no longer free to turn. Back off adjustment nut just enough to permit disc to turn freely.

3. When brake pedal is depressed, brake should be locked when front edge of parking brake lever is even with rear edge of parking brake locking slot in frame. To adjust, rotate eccentric on idler arm underneath tractor.

Now that comes from a 200 series book that was just made available yesterday on the group 3 site in yahoo. I know your tractor is different but maybe it will help you get it figured out. If not we'll try something else.

toc26

Thanks for the reply. My clutch pedal is on the left (as sitting) and my brake pedal is on the right (as sitting). The two springs that I am speaking of on my brake are the compression spring no. 48 on the parts diagram and no. 45 that I think attaches to the transmission brake arm and then somewhere to the chasis. Unfortunately, the diagram does not show where. The transmission is a pearless and there is no diagram available on-line for it. The holes in the transmission brake arm are not close enough to the side so that the end of the spring will attach, so I am wondering if the spring even attaches there. But I cannot see anywhere else it would logically attach to pull the brake pedal back to neutral position once released.

I have attached the parts diagram for the transmission. The lever on the left side of the picture coming up from the transmission is the brake bevel or cam that is pulled forward when the brake pedal is applied. The spring that I am trying to attach I believe attaches to this bevel to pull it back to neutral when the brake pedal is released. As you can see there is no part number becuase it is part of the transmission.

The spring that keeps tension on the parking brake lever attaches to a small hole in the lever and then to a square hole in the chasis.

I'm really at a loss. I did get the spring attached to the trasmission brake arm and then to a hole in the rear axle bracket, but it did not work. the spring either was not strong enough to pull the lever back to neutral or it was not properly attached (the latter is my guess).

Is there an operator's manual still available for my model?

Attached File ( Number of downloads: 31 )

pdf.gif

Transmission_Diagram.pdf

bmuone

Only thing I can think of is that it might attach somewhere in the seat hole. I will try to find something for you. Somewhere there must be a picture or refer to those springs and where they attach.

bmuone

Well toc I think we better go to plan two. And that would be calling on an actual owner of a b165 and maybe they can tell you were those springs go. I have been unable to find any refer to where they attach. But fear not, for I know there is a b165 owner who will have exactly the knowledge that you are looking for. Now they may not be on here until after the weekend so may take a day or so. I'll look around some more when I get a chance.

toc26

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I can wait.

toc26

Any body out there that can help? I was able to get the brake working properly, except for the spring that pulls the brake pedal to neutral when released. I still don't know where one end of the spring connects to the brake lever on the transmission and the other end to the chasis? Surely someone out there has a similar model. thanks. :thumbs:

Its hot and dry here for now, so grass isn't growing. :D

bmuone

Hey toc I had a little help today on the search. Go to the toro master parts viewer and put in your tractor number and go to assembly drawing. Then look at the Brake and Clutch Linkage 5-speed models section. There you will see a little clip number 30 that might have been lost off of your tractor. As our help suggest you will probably see some scratches were the clip was on the frame. Good luck.....

Dayton

toc26

That clip appears to be for the spring that attacheds to the clutch pedal on the left side of the tractor. the brake pedal is on the right side - as you sit in the seat. I can order it and try it. If anyone else has any ideas, I will appreciate them. Thanks Bmuone.