Sign in to follow this  
Guest skinner

Too Much Rust?

Hi,

Has anyone done a restoration on a project as derelict as mine and succeeded?

I recently acquired an abandoned B-80 8-speed. I've become completely enamored by the possibility of fixing it up while I've religiously hunted all of the B-80 posts and videos I can consume. I'm hooked on the concept but I'm not an expert metal fabricator. After disassembling the B-80 to the bare bones I've found that it has literally rusted to pieces in some areas, and I panicked. The hood support is paper thin and severely pitted - a lot of the other sheet metal is just the same, pitted with crumbly oxide crust on the surface. However the hood and fenders still have good meat, notwithstanding the pits. To me the question is not as much, "Is it worth it?", but more "Can it be done?" This little B-80 is becoming kind of a crusade for me but I keep losing a lot of the rust battles. What's good on it? I think the axles, frame, hood, dash, wheels, foot rests and MAYBE the steering components are probably okay. Everything else is just Iron oxide. Can this restoration be done right w/o costing an arm and a leg? I don't want a hangar queen I just want something professional and reliable for the end result. I would be crushed if I had to junk this B-80. I need expert opinions. :thumbs:

rickv1957

Sounds like you should find a doner parts tractor,many are out there :thumbs: Rick

rmaynard

Greg,

Take a look at this. The first is a B-80, the other is a C-160.

1ad4fdb8-1.jpg

That is some of the scrap that I bought to acquire parts.

Now take a look at what I built from those parts. All that you need is somewhere to start. You keep adding parts until you end up with something like this:

My B-100

Nothing is impossible.

Good luck with the B-80 project. :thumbs:

Bob

mavfreak

don't lose hope!

JimD

I agree with Bob (rmaynard). You can also post in the wanted section of the classifieds for parts. There are a lot of members who have parts for sale, and most will know what interchanges between models to get your project rolling. Never give up. There is a great resource right here at your fingertips. :thumbs:

MikesRJ

Greg,

I suggest you take some pictures, read the following thread on how to post them, post them pictures in this thread and let us see what you're starting with.

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=1071

I would be surprised if you couldn't get it all fixed up and pretty.

I started with this ...

001.JPG

... and ended with this:

DSCN2392.JPG

VinsRJ

With patients and hard work you can save just about anything, but I would have to agree with rickv1957. You may want to look around for a good doner unit or a unit in a little better condition. Good luck which ever direction you go in.

Ken B

Pictures are worth a thousand words. Post some up for an accurate opinion. You can do it!

Coadster32

It all depends on how bad you want it. This is what I started with. It does help to have a donor sometimes.

DSCF0097.jpg

DSCF0098.jpg

DSCF0052.jpg

This is what I ended up with. (It has a different motor now though)

DSCF0042-1.jpg

DSCF0045-1.jpg

It's really all on you. Sandblasting, E-tanking, and filler is sometimes needed. Not to mention a little mig welding here and there. You can do it. :thumbs:

Save Old Iron

I'm in to help you with the electrics -

when you get that far.

:thumbs: :D

rmaynard

What did I tell you Greg? You've got more help available here than you can possibly imagine.

As I said, I will let you know what I have, and then after everyone else has made their offerings, you can decide if you want to make the trip to Maryland to get a few things or travel elsewhere for everything. :thumbs:

Bob

All,

Thanks for the tips. I think a parts tractor is the way to go. Actually, I think mine should be the primary donator. Check out this rust ...

The way I found my B-80 in the woods (thats my lawn ranger behind it)

b80.jpg

Frame/Rear Axle:

axle.jpg

Hood Support:

steering.jpg

Sheet Metal:

sheetmetal.jpg

Belt Guard:

beltguard.jpg

... and thanks for all the input. I marvel at the handywork on this site. I'm a pencil pusher by trade, so I only know how things work on paper. Its the application part that gets me sometimes :thumbs: I need all the help I can get.

MikesRJ

I agree, you have some serious rust issues there. You'll certainly need a belt guard, it does appear to be past the stage of "gone". But, on the other hand, a lot of what I see would clean up nicely with a good sand blasting.

If you have a large enough compressor and a sand blaster, or at least access to one, I would try to clean them up first so you can make an educated assessment of the existing parts. Blasting media is only about $8 a bag and goes a long way. Once you get them cleaned you can get a look at the underlying condition then get the parts in primer. You'll know what you have in front of you.

Then I would seek out a parts tractor or separate parts as the case may be. At least you'll know where you stand with a little more certainty. You'll be surprised how much can be "fixed" with a sand blaster.

VinsRJ

First I would pull that tranny apart and see what you find inside. If it was sitting in the woods for a period of time, those shifter boots I'm sure didn't stop the water from getting in.

MikesRJ

Agreed, good point Vince.

SAM58

Won't be long until it's looking like Bob Maynard's B model.

Good Luck! :thumbs:

Save those Horses1 :D

darkhorse

the joy of steal is it can be added or taken away at any time and if you got your mind set with a little mind regearing it can be transformed into just about anything

benny :thumbs:

Point taken. BTW, 953's are awesome looking!!

kpinnc

Greg,

I've often been asked why so many NC tractors look so rough. I call it "North Carolina Brown"... I've also heard "swamp fresh" from time to time.

muledrive219-1.jpg

muledrive047-1.jpg

muledrive184.jpg

muledrive067.jpg

All I can tell you is with enough work and time, they will indeed clean up nicely. Good luck with your project. I'm sure it will turn out nice.

IM0000691.jpg

Kevin

rickv1957

Very nice Bronco there Kevin! :thumbs: Rick