Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

Differences in "C" Models

Polaris2007

Hey all. What other differences are there between a C-120, and a C-121, or a C-100 and a C-101, other than the 121 and 101 having their engines soft mounted? I'm just curious. I'm interested to know even the smallest differences.

Thanks.....Jon H.

TT

The most obvious difference is the "new for 1978" wider hood stand assembly.

Aside from adding the ability to secure the drive belt guard entirely to the tractor without an attachment point on the engine (due to the iso-mount cradle), it also allowed all of the hydraulic lift components to be tucked under the tins. (when equipped)

The change in the hood stand design caused a minor "chain reaction" in the surrounding pieces, including moving the battery to the top of the hood stand from the frame-mounted box, and the gas tank was moved back under the rear fender.

C-Series14

Well, TT beat me... :thumbs:

You can't beat the 1978-1979 C-Series. I kinda like them...

TT

You can always tell him about the "white elephant" C-161 twin differences, Mike. :thumbs:

C-Series14

Yea, a fiberglass hood, a plastic fender, and a B&S 16hp Twin. There were unique! Where the 1980-1984 hood and fender style came from!

rickv1957

Both series tractors are some of :D finest! :thumbs: Rick

refracman

Correct me if I'm wrong but didnt the iso mounted engines start in 1980 ?

I thought the 78/79 used the same hood/dash as the 65 thru 78 style with the rest of the tower and sheet metal as used in the 80/84 series.

Kelly

78 was the first year for the wide body and tank under the seat, and the iso mount on the engine, I have a C-81, C-101, C-121,C-141 and had a C-161 all 8speeds and all 78's if it has the 1at the end of the model no. IE C-121 it is the 78 or 79 tractor and is the wide body, with the iso mount.

And I believe the 84 tractors were the last to use the iso mount, I've never seen a number series tractor with the iso mount IE 300, 400, 500 series.

tgranthamfd

Didn't they, also add another tail light somewhere in that era, as well? :thumbs:

Kelly

Well now that you bring that up, non of my 78 or 79 C's have tail lights, only reflectors, one on each side.

tgranthamfd

Well now that you bring that up, non of my 78 or 79 C's have tail lights, only reflectors, one on each side.

Thought they looked a little thin, in the picture gallery. :thumbs:

Polaris2007

Great information guys, thanks. I was just wondering because I have a chance to aquire a C-101 with a snowblower. I'm not sure what year it is. The present owner doesn't know either. I haven't seen it in person yet, and I was just wondering if it is as stout a machine as the '77 c-120 8-speed that I restored. The present owner says the engine has a pretty loud knock, but that doesn't scare me too much. I can rebuild the Kohler pretty easily. I just wish it was a 14hp or 16hp K-series, instead of the 10hp.

rmaynard
Great information guys, thanks.

mavfreak

I have a '78 or '79 C161 twin 8 speed a I have a tin rear fender is this right or should it be the pastic one?

C-Series14

I have a '78 or '79 C161 twin 8 speed a I have a tin rear fender is this right or should it be the pastic one?

They originally had the first style of plastic fender. It was thin in the pan area and these tractors used a large steel plate under it to support it. In 1980, the same style was used but they reinforced the pan area with webbing and the plate was no longer needed. I have the original one off my 1979 C-161 Twin 8-Speed hanging on the wall, protecting it!!! :thumbs: I have the newer style on the tractor now.

mavfreak

Well I guess I don't have the right fender then cuase mine is metal. It holds a magnet

C-Series14

All the literature I have or have seen shows it with the plastic fender. The one from 1978 that shows a pic of the "new" 1978 C-161 Twin has a different engine shroud than what I got and the rear plastic fender looks a little different. The pic is is in the photo gallery under 1978-1984 and look for 1978 C-161 Twin, T-Mo is the member. Since mine is a 1979, they must of changed engine shrouds.... :thumbs:

C-Series14

Well I guess I don't have the right fender then cuase mine is metal. It holds a magnet

Just looked at a pic of your 1979 and it has a different shroud than mine. Yours is like the one in the brochure... :thumbs:

Is yours a 16hp B&S and if so, what engine numbers are on it, want to compare to mine...

mavfreak

it is a briggs twin. Ill have to look tomorrow and i'll let you know

mavfreak

ok here is the engine numbers

Model # 401417

Type # 0130 01

Code # 7803221

I think these are what your looking for