Sign in to follow this  
300zx

Trying to recover a 520

300zx

I am trying to recover a 1990 520 that sat in the weather under a deck for 10 to 15 years (very inhumane or inmachine treatment). I started by pressure washing the whole rig, removing the engine and pressure washing everything again. I tore down the engine to resurface the valves, clean the rust from under the flywheel, cleaned the carb (which was full of what looked like corn flake dust), new plugs, confirmed the coil was still good and confirmed the starter still worked. The oil in the crankcase looked as thick as crude oil, so I pulled the pan, cleaned it and pressure washed the inside and outside of the engine again. It is now beginning to look like it might have a second life. I oiled all moving parts as I put it back together. It has been 3 weeks and last night I finally bench tested it. It fired on stater fluid, which was engcouraging, but no gas was flowing through the new filter. Took the outet hose from the fuel filter loose and got gas flowing. Pulled the top of the carb and tried again. No gas. The seat for the needle valve was plugged again. With the hose loose at the filter, I blew backwards though the needle seat with an air hose. Rust particles came out. Hooked back up again and got gas through the seat. Buttoned the carb back up and after a few back fires through the carb and exhaust, it ran like a champ. Rev's up without hesistation and runs like a great engine. Believe it or not, this engine only shows 128 hours on the meter (and may or maynot be accurate depending on if the oil pressure switch worked its whole life). The gas tank has about a 1/4 inch of tar in the bottom. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to clean it out?

rickv1957

The product,chemtech carb cleaner works great on the metal tanks but dont know that plastic will hold up to it,Rick

WH nut

A good start would be to put boiling water in it and loosen things up, then flush with diesel

Operator

I see you like them 520's too! :thumbs:

How about a picture ?

Oh and :D

Randy

SALTYWRIGHT

HI...MARINE STORES SELL TANK CLEANER THAT WORK VERY GOOD. TRY WEST MARINE STORES, THEY STOCK IT. RUSS :thumbs:

Roger from southern Iowa

Hi and :thumbs: .Glad to have you here.

300zx

Thanks for the input. I will look up some of the suggestions and see if they can be used on plastic tanks. I had also thought of just using lacquer thinner.

If you want to see what an inhumanely (or inmachinely) abused and neglected Horse looks like, here it is. As I said the previous owner left it under his deck for 10 to 15 years without any shelter from the elements. I had to decide whether to shoot it (part it out) or try to revive it (restoration). I prefer restoration, it is more satisfying. Note, the left arm rest was so deteriorated, it fell off on the way home!!

2010%200604%20WH%20520h%20from%20GA%20005.jpg

2010%200604%20WH%20520h%20from%20GA%20004.jpg

Save Old Iron
The gas tank has about a 1/4 inch of tar in the bottom.

mavfreak

save_old_ iron here i thought you only knew wirring and how to spell words correctly :thumbs:

:D That looks like an awesome find. I to would go with the restoration. I would maybe even try just some gumout and old irons trick. Sounds crazy enough to work.

300zx

Again, thanks for the input. I have used rocks and lacquer thinner in metal tanks before, but hadn't thought about all of save_old_ iron's suggestions. I really like the cement mixer idea. It has me thinking about a geared down electric motor I have had around for years from a science lab. Maybe I now have a use for it if I can figure out how to rig it up. I considered my shop (not my wife's) clothes dryer, but I don't think the opening is big enough! And what a mess if it leaked. I also like the Purple Power, it is what I use for degreasing parts before I paint.

rickv1957

What a shame to see a :D treated like that but it can be restored! :thumbs: Rick

Save Old Iron

save_old_ iron here i thought you only knew wirring and how to spell words correctly :thumbs:

Never underestimate the life experiences of a true renaissance man. Next I'm going to try my hand at neo classic sculpture. Had something like this in mind. Whatcha think ?

statuesquirrel.jpg

Save Old Iron

I really like the cement mixer idea. It has me thinking ...

That's the biggest compliment you can give someone ... makes me think.

Makes my minor contributions here all worthwhile.

You have also given ME an idea for my next avatar icon. Stay tuned.

Oh, and on the cement mixer idea -

I SUSPENDED the tank in the fins of the mixer. I DID NOT allow the tank to bounce around inside the mixer.

MikesRJ

Well "Mr. Polymath", I'm a little curious about your choice of mental images your crafting here.

What kind of "life experience" are you getting there with that statue? :thumbs::D :D

Save Old Iron

The neat thing about listening to others reactions on interpreting a piece of art is it usually gives a clear picture to their own life experiences.

Hopefully there are not too many folks here who look at the Statue of Liberty and the first thought that runs thru their mind is "I wonder if she's wearing underwear beneath the robe"?

I gotta go and bake some cookies for the grand kids.

MikesRJ

THAT'S AWESOME! :thumbs:

rickv1957

Never underestimate the life experiences of a true renaissance man. Next I'm going to try my hand at neo classic sculpture. Had something like this in mind. Whatcha think ?

statuesquirrel.jpg

:D:D :thanks:

mavfreak

save_old_iron there's something wrong with you and haven't figured it out yet.

:thumbs:

You kill me with some of the picture you come with.

300zx...

I even thought maybe a varible speed drill set at a very slow speed might work but couldn't figure out how to attach it

Save Old Iron

save_old_iron there's something wrong with you and haven't figured it out yet.

:thumbs:

and I guarantee it's no small issue either !!

On the subject of the gas tank - my first one I cleaned just as I described - shook the beejeezers out of by hand. It worked but took a few days of on and off shaking.

Then I got too lazy to take the cement mixer up to the barn for the winter, that's when my c175 rebuild started and there was my inspiration - in the form of a HF cement mixer. hooda thunkit

300zx

I didn't have a chance to do anything more today than add some Purple Power to the tank and set in the 100 degree sun on hot asphalt. I brought it in late and stirred it around with a screw driver. It had softened the thick gum and a lot came out when I dumped it. (reminded me of what was in my Granddad's spittoon and smelled worse) I rinsed it with hot water from the tap until it cleared up. I poured more Purple Power in for the night and will probably set it back out tomorrow.

I can't beat any of the comments on the sculpture!!!! LOL

linen beige

Hopefully there are not too many folks here who look at the Statue of Liberty and the first thought that runs thru their mind is "I wonder if she's wearing underwear beneath the robe"?

I've been under her robe. :thumbs: I found it to be quiet interesting.

Save Old Iron

Jim,

I know your a gentleman - so I think Lady Liberty's secrets are safe.

rickv1957

:D

and I guarantee it's no small issue either !!

linen beige

Jim,

I know your a gentleman - so I think Lady Liberty's secrets are safe.

Ahem... Do you not mean "you're" ? (sorry, I kuhdn't rezist) :D

Me a gentleman? It appears as though my illusion is a success!

BTW.. It sounds as if you now have mavfeak thinking. :thumbs:

mavfreak

Yes I'm thinking save_old is on the strange side of the fence! :thumbs: