Sign in to follow this  
dgjks6

testing transmission

dgjks6

So I got all the gears back where they should go and got the differential in.

In neutral everything spins good - both directions. But when I move it in gear funyy things happen.

So how do I test it to find out if I did it right?

Here is a lot of questions - feel free to answer on any of them.

When should it go forward or backward? Or can you spin it in both directions at any time?

What should I twist to test it? The axle, the brake shaft?

How hard should it be to get between gears? Sometimes easy, sometimes its not.

How do I tell if hi/lo is working?

JimD

You didn't mention whether you filled it with gear oil before testing it. I mention this because of your post in the other thread about that spot on the axle that is worn and you thought it was going to leak there. If you are testing it dry, that might be why it shifts hard at times. I tested one with a small motor and belt to check if the speeds were changing properly. It's a pain to set up, but better to find out before you assemble it to the tractor. :thumbs:

Coadster32

Put the pully on the input shaft and spin it by hand. If you put together something wrong, do you really want power behind it? Check all gears in hi and lo. Keep in mind lo is really low, and you have to spin it alot to see the axle shafts move. If it's difficult to get between gears, rotate the axle shaft a little, as the gears aren't perfectly lined up. Bench testing is very importaint. Good luck. :thumbs:

rmaynard

Remember that when turning the input shaft pulley, it turns counter-clockwise when looking at it from the side.

With no load, turning one axle forward will cause the other to turn backward.

When looking down on the top of the tranny, the Hi/Lo will be in high when it is moved to the right.

Put the transmission into reverse, turn the input pulley counterclockwise and the axle shaft will turn backward. Put it in any other gear and it will turn forward. Up and to the left will be 3rd and it should cause the axle to rotate more revolutions for each turn of the input pulley as the other gear ranges. Seems simple enough, but sometimes I get confused about which gear I'm in, and which way things should be turning.

If you can get into each gear and get output at the axles, you probably have it back together correctly.

As Jim said, without gear oil, you may find it harder to shift.

Bob

dgjks6

So I reassembled my transmission. Filled it with gear oil, and tested it.

If I spin the input shaft coutner clockwise, the axles spin foreward, includingin reverse.

What did I do?

rmaynard

Are you absolutely certain that you are in reverse?

Bob

MikesRJ

Do you know what model trans you have?

Not knowing exactly what you did during the rebuild, I would suggest you review section 5 of this manual:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...1958_-_1982.pdf

dgjks6

luckily i have pictures

DSCF5155.jpg

DSCF5154.jpg

does it look right?

rmaynard

From that angle it looks okay. Let me check my archives from when I did mine and see if I have a picture from that angle.

Bob

MikesRJ

Greg,

It appears that you have an 5086 transmission (based on the 1" axles and 8-Speed/4-pinion Differential), and assuming the shift forks are engaging the gear collars (I can't tell from the pictures), it appears to be correct (nothing jumps out and says otherwise). The dimples in the pinons ends indicates to me you have them installed correctly.

Can you shift through all gears without a problem (does it feel the same through each gear and you can tell the gears are sliding together)? If you have someone hold both axle shafts, and you rotate the drive pulley counter-clockwise when facing the pulley, do the shafts still run forward in all gears? Same Hi and Lo

Side comment: Nice and clean work though. Looks like you could almost eat off it.

Let us know.

rmaynard

Here's picture from relatively the same angle. This is before I removed anything except the differential, so all the gears are in the correct places.

b579a311.jpg

Bob

dgjks6

Thanks all. I went out with my daughter and had her hold teh axles while I went though the gears. Turns out there is a place between high and low where everything goes forward.

Who knew.

After geting into Lo, all the gears worked, and then when I went back to high everything was fine.

Thanks for the advice and pics. The pic gave me the courage to try again, and from there just ahd to follow instructions.

Greg

MikesRJ

Glad all was OK, good luck with it.

rmaynard

Glad it worked out. :thumbs:

Bob

Coadster32

:thumbs:

stevasaurus

Gosh...I love a happy ending. :thumbs: Your transmission looks amazing...great job. :D

The Toolman

Thanks all. I went out with my daughter and had her hold teh axles while I went though the gears. Turns out there is a place between high and low where everything goes forward.

Who knew.

After geting into Lo, all the gears worked, and then when I went back to high everything was fine.

Thanks for the advice and pics. The pic gave me the courage to try again, and from there just ahd to follow instructions.

Greg

Did ya peter out guy? Haven't heard much outta ya lately.

Ronnie

dgjks6

sort of.

Vacation, kids, work, etc. I have had no time to work on it. Strippped the engine down. Now waiting to get time o get it to the engine shop to get it bored out and the cam fixed.

JimD

Greg, I'm really looking forward to more updates on your project when you get time to work on it. You're doing a fine job. :) P.S. Those rims and tires are now on my C85 and lookin good. Thanks again, Jim.