Sign in to follow this  
frankiefiredog

Engine swap

frankiefiredog

Tell me what you can. Your advise is priceless!

So many of you have followed my engine issues of late. It seems that I will have to take a bit more time and repair the 12hp Tec HH120 on my own due to cost and parts. So I've decided to buy this from another RS member:

12 h.p. K301 s

spec. # 47147c

Freshly rebuilt.

Is there anything special that I need to consider or do to make that engine work ? I need to be cutting grass REAL soon. Paying someone else to cut the grass is costing me a lot of money. Thanks.

rickv1957

You will have to change ignition switch and make some wiring changes,pretty easy,Rick

frankiefiredog

Where do I get the new ignition switch and what model number? I have all the books for the Tec, but I don't think I'm getting any Kohler manuals. Links? Thanks Rick!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

frankiefiredog

Thanks Mike.

So there my C-120 sits. No motor on it. It looks very sad. A question...

The Tec was attached to a plate, that was attached to the frame. Each attachment has four bolts. I took the motor with plate attached off the frame first, then the plate off the motor after I drained the oil. Will I still need that plate? There was some discussion about the Kohler having the crank in a different location. Is this the plate that make up the difference? I've looked at other C-120 pictures here on the site, and I've noticed those Kohler engines don't seem to be attached with this plate. I'm deep in uncharted waters, but you guys are good. I appreciate it!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

rickv1957

You will not need plate with the kohler,What are your plans for the old tecumseh,Rick

MikesRJ

The purpose of the plate is to put the center-line of the crankshaft in a relative position in space to the frame and the other drive components.

The machine was designed with a specific engine in mind. The plate makes up the positional difference between the design engine and the Tecky.

Using the plate to frame front mounting holes on the plate as a reference point, measure back (rearward) and up to the center-line of the Tecky crankshaft.

When you install the Kohler directly to the machine (without the plate), make the same measurements to the center of the Kohler crankshaft.

If the numbers are the same as the Tecky with the plate, you won't need the plate.

If the numbers are different, then the difference is the size plate required (height) you need. The difference between numbers (mostly height) should be the same as the height of the plate. If not you'll need a different size plate.

This is a little confusing but should make sense after a few reads.

frankiefiredog

Mike,

Makes perfect sense, and was kind of along the lines of what I planned on trying. Thanks! I appreciate it!

Rick,

I plan to try rebuilding the Tec. Then either putting it back on the tractor, or selling it. I have a buddy that turns engines, but he is 3 months behind right now. Too long to wait for me to cut my grass! :thumbs: So I plan to get the Tec to him when he's a little less busy and see if he want's to turn it a bit. I've said it before, I am not an engine guy, but the cylinder feels REALLY smooth all the way around. Like it was polished. I may just shell out $50 for a new piston, rod, rings and gaskets. I'll have my buddy mic it fist and see if that's workable. For $50 and my own time, I think it's worth it. You have any use for it Rick?

Dave

Langrange, Ohio

MikesRJ

Also, since I forgot to add it to my previous post, you also need to be aware of the engines left right position (on the plate, if used) so the PTO belt grooves line up to the transmission drive and idler pulleys.

rickv1957

You have any use for it Rick?

Dave

Langrange, Ohio

Dave,if you decide not to use it let me know,could use some parts,Rick

frankiefiredog

Well, I got home a little over an hour ago. The family trip to Warsaw, IN to pickup this motor was grand! The Ohio State Patrol got $125 on a speeding ticket. :D:thumbs::D Haven't had one of those in over 16 years! Oh well. Scotts dad Dave and his wife Cheryl are just some of the nicest people. Picked up the motor. Looks great! Turns nice. All of the linkage looks and operates as it should. I get this thing home and set it on the frame....

It's too wide for the frame. By about 1/2". How can this be? I'm confused... The length is perfect for the existing holes, but the holes spread too far across the frame and the motor is actually outside the frame rails. VERY ODD! I guess I can make up some sort of plate, but it has to be thin... REALLY thin. The shaft location is SPOT ON at the present height.

Any advice? Thanks.

Dave

Buzz

On some of the Kohlers two of the bolts on one side came up from the bottom into tapped holes in the base.

Irv

As Buzz mentioned, on the pto side, there should be tapped holes into the block. On the flywheel side, use the visable holes on the corners of the motor. Put the bolts in on the flywheel side first and don't tighten til u get the other side lined up and started in. Good luck

frankiefiredog

Thanks for the replies. The problem is, I can get the holes on the flywheel side to line up, but then the holes on the shaft side are hanging off the mounting rail. Are you saying there are more holes in the bottom of the motor that I haven't seen yet? If there are, I'm going to feel like a REAL GOOF! I guess I need to turn it over when I get home tonight and take a look. As it stands right now though, I can not make the 4 visable mounting holes line up on the frame. I'll take some pictures tonight. Thanks again for your help and advice!

...and the grass keeps growing!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

TT

Here's what you'll be looking for:

030809005-1.jpg

frankiefiredog

Here's what you'll be looking for:

030809005-1.jpg

You know, I just can't thank you guys enough for your time and your patience. I went home at lunch today and checked out that motor. Yep. Those holes are there. Son of a gun! Glad it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. I saw myself drilling things. That's never good.

I'll bolt that on tonight and then you'll probably see me post something in the electrical section. The wiring will be next. Wish me luck. Thank you all again for your help. Seriously. You are some good folks!

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

stevasaurus

Dave...you are a lucky guy. I have been trying to meet Scott for a year and a half. :D special people. I would let your friend look at that techy...may not be too much wrong. :thumbs:

frankiefiredog

Dave...you are a lucky guy. I have been trying to meet Scott for a year and a half. :D special people. I would let your friend look at that techy...may not be too much wrong. :thumbs:

Well Steve, I didn't get to meet Scott, but I did meet his parents. If Scott is anything close to as nice as his parents are, I'd like to meet him too one of these days :thanks:

The motor is mounted up. Bolted on nice and tight. Had to go buy 2 more 3/8 III bolts that were a little bit longer to reach the nuts under the frame. I also connected the fuel line, just to make sure it would reach :D

Next is some wiring. Oh it looks fun. Those two "red" wires that come off the back of the motor look lonely and I can't imagine where they go?

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

rickv1957

Them two wires should go to the rectifier,Rick

frankiefiredog

Thanks Rick. I figured on that. Problem is, the Tec had nice wiring harnesses (This on will too when I'm done with it) and the wiring harness to the Rectifier has two AC hots and a B coming out. On the Kohler, it looks like that B+ goes to the battery? I'll post some pictures. There's a few wires without homes and my throttle and choke cables need to find their respective homes. I have all the manuals now, so it's just a matter of figuring our the wiring differences between the Tec and the Kohler.

Thanks again for all of you help.

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

whfan74

Dave........

I am glad things are going together smooth for you. I am bummed that I didn't get a chance to meet up with you when you made the trip. Thank you so much for the nice comments.

Steve..........thanks for the kind comments as well. I can't wait to get a chance to shake your hand as well.

I spent some time over in the barn tonight with dad. We had a good time! :thumbs: I had big ideas on what I wanted to get accomplished tonight but spent more time goofing around than working. Oh well.......we had fun! Finished up fixing a friends 3 wheeler and just couldn't load it up without testing it out first! :D

We are trying to figure out a date for a meet/greet out at dad's place. I think I will post something tonight in the get together section and come up with a date and nail that down so we have something to shoot for! Hope you guys can make it out here! I will be grilling! :D

rickv1957

Thanks Rick. I figured on that. Problem is, the Tec had nice wiring harnesses (This on will too when I'm done with it) and the wiring harness to the Rectifier has two AC hots and a B coming out. On the Kohler, it looks like that B+ goes to the battery? I'll post some pictures. There's a few wires without homes and my throttle and choke cables need to find their respective homes. I have all the manuals now, so it's just a matter of figuring our the wiring differences between the Tec and the Kohler.

Thanks again for all of you help.

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

You will figure out pretty quick as wiring and cables are fairly simple :thumbs: ,Rick

frankiefiredog

Alright..... The moment of truth....

I turn the key, I check the head and tail lights... They work.

I turn to Start.... It cranks.

It cranks over. I stop. Let it rest. Try again.

Fuel... Check...

Oil... Check...

I can start smelling fuel, so I know that the fuel is flowing. I remove the air cleaner and I can smell gasoline. That's a good sign.

I remove the spark plug. I crank the motor with the plug against the engine housing.

No spark... I checked all my wires. I rechecked them. The plug had fuel on it when I took it out. I cleaned it up and put it back in.

Cranked it again. Nothing. I'm getting compression, but she won't fire.

Ideas? I'm getting excited that I made it this far and did not burn up my garage. I really do appreciate all of your help. I hope to get this thing running tomorrow at the latest.

Dave

Lagrange, Ohio

rickv1957

Do points need cleaned and regaped,Rick

whfan74

Dave.....

Do you have the proper ignition switch? Didn't you change from an electronic ignition to a battery ignition? That would be one possibility..............

Kohler's were also known to have problems with oxidation on brand new ignition points.

Keep us posted..........