Sign in to follow this  
runrider

Adding MTF

runrider

My 1976 C-120 (61-12k801) transmission fluid is low, according to the dipstick. There is just a little drip at the bottom of the dipstick when i check it.

I bought some fluid and removed the plug that I thought was to add fluid (see picture), and fluid starts pouring out. I thought it just needed to be filled to the thread lines on that plug? Am I doing something wrong?920737576_99Qhw-O.jpg

mavfreak

they should hold 2qaurts. you fill throught the dipstick. also removing a bolt on the top of trans that holds the seat support helps to speed up the filling proscess. It would also be a good time to replace all the fluid. the dran plug is loctated on the bottom of the trans and is a hex bolt

runrider

I plan to do a total flush, soon... but right now I just need to top it off, if it is actually low. Dipstick says its low, but it is coming right out of the fill port when its parked on level ground!

rick

Use your dipstick as your guide to the fluid level. I think the plug you are referring to is a throwback to the 3 speed transaxle. I remove the gear shift lever to refill the transaxle after draining. That opens a great big hole to pour the fluid in. Pour a quart and a half in,

give it enough time to flow around and through the gears and bearings. Start adding a few ounces at a time, keeping check with the dipstick. I am not able to get all of two

quarts in, maybe my dipsticks aren't calibrated properly?

pfrederi

Specs say 2 qts but I have never been able to put 2 full qts into any WH 3 or 8 speed tranny.

runrider

How does the gear shift lever come out?

pfrederi

loosen the lock nut and remove the allen head dog point set screw that is in the front of the trans case where the shifter goes in

rickv1957

About 1-3/4 quart pretty well fills tranny, :thumbs: Rick

runrider

Got it done, thanks for the help. For anyone who reads this thread in the future, the shifter comes out when you turn the small single screw that holds it in, right at the pivot point where the shifter enters the transaxle (by the dust cover aka rubber boot). Mine was buried in dirt and grass clippings, but was very easy to turn.

The trick is remembering what position the shift lever was in when you take it out, so that it goes back into position, then holding it in the exact right place to get the screw BACK into position to hold the shifter on.

SAM58

ALL THREE OF MINE HAVE 2 QTS IN THEM....

:thumbs:

tgranthamfd

Usually reads a little high after 2 qts. but after a little drive time they read about where they should, this was on my 8 speeds. You can only get about a qt. in through the side plug hole, I put the rest in through the dip stick hole and it is a slow go, will have to remember the bolt and shifter trick the next time.