Sign in to follow this  
Guest skinner

repower: B vs C series

Does anyone know what the difference in "hood room" is for a B-80 vs the C-80, or other contemporary C models? There have been a lot of cool B&S v-twin repower projects on this forum for C size tractors. I was wondering if I could get a 14hp Vanguard in my B-80 as well:

This is one of my favorite posts. These guys did a great job and the motor swaps look awesome:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...781&hl=vanguard

Anyone put a twin in a B-80 or B-100 yet? I wonder if there's room w/o cutting anything.

Thanks,

rickv1957

:thumbs: If your B80 is a 8 speed you have the same frame as the C models,Rick

Kelly

Slow down Rick, there is one year on the B's that use a shorter frame and hood I believe 74 and you might have hood clearance issues with that model.

JimD

Kelly, I have a 74 B80 that's a 4 speed. Did that year also come with an 8 speed option? I might do a swap if it did. Thanks.

Thanks, for the tips. This B-80 is an 8-speed, but I can't tell what year it is. (Does a tiny 3 spoke steering wheel mean anything?) Is the build year on the serial plate(?) - I haven't got the rust off it yet. And I've never seen a C in person to compare size.

I was lucky to get this one for free from a neighbor wanting to haul it off to the dump. It had been abandoned on his NC property for years. I couldn't resist - I've got a wheel horse bug in me.

rickv1957

Slow down Rick, there is one year on the B's that use a shorter frame and hood I believe 74 and you might have hood clearance issues with that model.

Kelly,Im pretty sure that the 4 speed B80s were short frame ( 74,75) and the 8 speed were long frames(76,77) also the 73 no name 8-8 speed is a long frame and the 8-4 speed is a short frame, :thumbs: Rick

Hey, the s/n is 71-08k801; the master parts viewer says that's a '77 B-80, so it's Long Frame? Plus, I'll just measure the hood length tonight. Grill to to edge/seam in front of steering column (measured over the top with a tape) should settle it right? Does anyone know what that is for a C model?

If this is the same the Vanguard V-twin might fit.

Northern Tool gives these dimensions for the 16 hp horizontal model

Engine Dimensions L x W x H (in.) 12 5/16 x 16 1/8 x 19

I've also found this, so theres some variation, and I can't pin the size down

100%

L,W,H = 12.76",15.98",17.28"

That "cube" may not exactly fit but that doesn't mean the engine will not fit which is why I wanted to compare with the C model that we can see has worked.

Greg

rickv1957

C160 is 32 1/2" long,Rick

'77 B-80 8-speed is 32 1/2" as well, so I think the v-twin WILL work.

Greg

(Thanks to Rick and Kelly for the good info)

Don1977

Do you have the original engine. If so check the height and the location horizontal on the frame of the existing crank shaft. The crank shaft of the new engine needs to go back in the same location to get the belt and belt guard to work popularly.

Thanks Don. I will check that. I wonder if all of the belt guards and stuff were taylored specifically to the K181 suggesting they could be different on all the other hp models. Wasn't yours built around the 12 hp (?) - yet more subtleties to consider.

Greg

rickv1957

Belt guard for the 8 speed models were all the same 8-16hp,Rick

Don1977

Thanks Don. I will check that. I wonder if all of the belt guards and stuff were taylored specifically to the K181 suggesting they could be different on all the other hp models. Wasn't yours built around the 12 hp (?) - yet more subtleties to consider.

Greg

Yes mine had 12 HP Kohler. I had to add 7/8" height below the Vanguard to

get the crank shaft in the right location.