Sign in to follow this  
rthomp26

Round hood grill painting?

rthomp26

Ok..I'm starting to get my RJ-58 ready for paint and when I was sanding on the grill last night I realized it's going to be tough to get the white paint back on the Wheel Horse lettering neatly? I assume that someone probably has/makes a stencile or something? Any tips/hints would be appreciated. :thumbs:rj58before.jpg

Gene_S

People who restore coke machines use a paint roller set up. Probably a super fine roller. I use a paint marker and make three light passes to get it done.

Lane Ranger

Elmers makse a nice white paint pen with a felt tip that works real good. They are about 7 or 8 dollars as I remember but I went lightly over the letters after shaking up the pen good about three times. Let it dry between each application.

Some of the original hoods did not have white lettering on the embossed wheel horse located on the hood.

oldandred

A small tip brush and steady hand and go slow thats the way I do mine

dandan111

I used a roller and I got some paint speckles between letters.It looks

good enough for me. Paint marker would be best I bet.

MikesRJ

This article may help you in the lettering department. It was written for dash panels, but the same process is used on a hood or engine shroud.

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/modules.php?na...o=show_doc&id=1

Finished-03.jpg

VinsRJ

Steady hand and a brush is the way I do them.

rthomp26

Thank you all for the hints and tips. I think I like the paint marker idea so I'm going to try that. I sure do love this forum! I hope I can join all of you at the show next year!

:thumbs:

PKAero

Hi guys

This is my first post and didn't think a new topic was necessary. I am restoring a 654 round hood and need some help. As you can see in the photo I am missing a couple of grill bars in the hood. I have tried to fabracate replacements but can not seem to duplicate the existing grill bars. I was hoping that someone out there has a round hood beyond repair with some useable bars? maybe cut them out to lower shipping costs?

Thanks for any help.

Phil

I truly love this site, have spent many hours on it since joining.

Attached Image

post-70-1278019150.jpg

Butch

Hi guys

This is my first post and didn't think a new topic was necessary. I am restoring a 654 round hood and need some help. As you can see in the photo I am missing a couple of grill bars in the hood. I have tried to fabracate replacements but can not seem to duplicate the existing grill bars. I was hoping that someone out there has a round hood beyond repair with some useable bars? maybe cut them out to lower shipping costs?

Thanks for any help.

Phil

I truly love this site, have spent many hours on it since joining.

Hi PKAero. Welcome to Red Square. There are probably people here that will tell you how to fabricate new ones and Brian could probably CNC you a whole new hood out of a block of aluminum or stainless steel!! :D:thumbs: \\

Butch

S. Jersey

PKAero

it would be good if I could find steel origionsl so i could TIG weld thim in place,

rickv1957

PKAero :thumbs: The paint marker works good fo me, :D Rick