Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

876 tranny question

clintonnut

I have been moving lots of dirt with the 876 and using it pretty hard. The hydro is plenty strong in foward and the engine will stall before it slips but reverse is slow and takes a couple seconds for enough pressure to build up before it starts to move.

I noticed there is a set screw on the front and back of the pump. Do these have something to do with the pressure? Wheel speed?

Charlie

clintonnut

anyone?

Charlie

TT

The 1 3/16" hex-headed things with the set screw sticking out of the middle of them are the acceleration (dampening) / relief valves.

The front one is for reverse and can be removed and cleaned without much trouble.

(The one for forward travel requires removing the fender/toolbox for access)

Turning the set screw will adjust the spring pressure, but I would start by cleaning the valve. It's possible that the spring is broken, so you might want to swap them and see if you get the same results, but only in the opposite direction.

clintonnut

Just tried to move the set screw. Won't move then tried the hex. That won't move. Need the breaker bar :thumbs:

Charlie

rickv1957

The piston valves are different for forward and reverse so you cant swap them,maybe you can swap springs though,Rick

TT

The piston valves are different for forward and reverse so you cant swap them,maybe you can swap springs though,Rick

The dampening valves are the same for forward and reverse.

Yes, Rick - the relief valves are different. :thumbs: