Sign in to follow this  
748789horse

417A hydrostatic trouble shooting

748789horse

Hi,

New guy here, great sight with lots of information. I just purchased a 1987 417A. It runs great but I'm not sure what's going on with the hydro drive. When trying to slow the tractor down to back up it is like slamming on the brakes unless you move the hydro stick back so slowly that it takes 50' to get to the neutral position. The lever moves smoothly without jerking. I've changed the filter and fluid but it still does the same thing. I've downloaded the Eaton manual but it does not address this condition. Just checking to see if anyone can help or have a similar condition. My other two WH's are 8-speeds so I have no prior experience with the Hydro.

Thanks for the help,

Steve

WH nut

heck and make sure there isnt a lot of slop in the linkages and its not just moving the cam until the slop is taken up

rickv1957

Hello and :thumbs: Rick

dobeleo

I am rebuilding my 312-A now and am putting my shifting linkage back together. On mine, when you step on the brake, it moves the lever to the neutral position.

Does yours work that way? Will it stop smoother that way? I would check all the linkage out too.

748789horse

Yes using the brakes has the same result but only worse because you can't apply the brakes as slowly as you can move the lever. It does return it to the neutral position with the tractor not trying to move in either direction when the brake is released. The linkages have minimal slop and the tractor is faster than my 416-8 so I believe all is fine with that part. I wonder if it could be something interal that is gummed up due to sitting for a few years before I got it? Guess I'll run it some more and see if it gets any better or worse.

Thanks,

Steve

dobeleo

Hey Steve,

I have the WheelHorse Eaton Manual (PDF File). I can not attach files to emails here, send me your email address and I will send you the PDF File.

dan

dobeleo

One other note, from the manual, the motion control lever should take about 6 lbs of pressure to move it. If your lever is moving too easily, tighten the middle nut on the cam plate. This is known as the friction control nut. Lift up your seat, there is a hole in the rear fender accessing it.

Good luck!

Dan

mr.pipes

Hi there Steve. Did you have any luck with your problem? I looked at a hydro that did the same thing when going from reverse to neutral. If you did get it sorted could you let me know what the issue was? Thanks

748789horse

I'm back,

The problem hasn't totally gone away. It does seem to be getting better though with use? It had been sitting for a while prior to me getting it so maybe the hydro drive is sticking a little if that's possible (internally)? I may run it for another 10 hrs or so and change the fluid and filter again to see if that helps.

This is the exact model horse that I didn't buy in 1987 (what was I thinking) instead I bought an Ariens HT-16 that's on it's last legs. Although it has been very dependable it doesn't compare.

I'll keep checking back in and hopefully someone will reply with the easy fix I'm hoping for.

Thanks,

Steve