Sign in to follow this  
littleredrider

Kohler 8 horse issues

littleredrider

I got the 8 horse off the c-81 running. Rebuilt the carb, everything inside looked good, no plugged holes or passages. I put a new coil, condenser, plug/wire and points gapped at .019". Only thing I didn't replace was the plunger, they didn't have any.

It is hard as hell to start, real glad it's electric start. It will idle fine, but if you look at the throttle it will stall. It did this before the carb rebuild, at the store I asked the guy what it could be, said could be a weak battery (which isn't the case, new battery with a booster) or the points not adjusted right. So I checked the gap again, it was a little off, and it ran better.

But now it's back to where it was, not wanting to start or once it does, not wanting to rev.

I really want and need to get this going, tired of push mowing my lawn!!!!! I think it might need a rebuild, once it is running, it will smoke revving it and while at higher RPMs.

WH nut

Have you tired bumping the thottle up wit the choke slightly closed, if it runs up its an indication its running lean which could mean carb adjustment or sucking in unmetered air

rickv1957

Sounds like a carb issue yet,may need to reclean carb,also did you get your coil wires hooked back up correctly,Neg side with condensor to points,Rick

littleredrider

I checked the wires off the coil, thought it was backwards, but that's how it was on the old stuff.

I haven't done the choke slightly closed yet, almost think it's getting too much gas, seems it has some black smoke when trying to rev...

I know it ain't gonna happen, but will try to mess with it after work tonite.....

WH nut

If its blowing black smoke its rich, but I would think it would idle bad

littleredrider

It doesn't belch black smoke, but it will puff some....never have time to do anything till the weekend, this sucks.... :thumbs:

JUSS10

i got the same thing happening, but mines pull start :thumbs: i think I'm going to check the valve lash and see how that looks. you talked about replacing the condenser but did you replace the points? maybe they are rounded off and not getting good contact?

rickv1957

Yea,them weekends go by quick!,Rick

JUSS10

i guess i miss read your first post, it does look like you got new points...

littleredrider

I'm thinking of bringing it to my apartment rather than at my mom's house, it's only 1/2 mile up the road, but if it's right here, I can read up on here and then go outside and try it.

I'm gonna tear the carb off again, talking to different people seems they all say the same thing. The motor is super quiet, so not sure if the valves need to be adjusted or not.

Buzz

I guess it's my turn to make a SWAG decision on what your problem is. (SWAG= Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) :D

Did you replace the spark plug and is it gapped correctly?

When you rebuilt the carburetor did you use a kit or did you just clean it?

Did you set the float level per pages 6.9 and 6.10 in the manual?

Did you use the carburetor initial settings on page 6.14 in the manual?

Remember, those setting are just to get it running. Once it starts adjust the screws by turning them in or out slowly until the motor runs the smoothest. Start with the high speed because you usually start the engine with the throttle wide open.

Last question, did you download the manual? If not, here it is:

http://www.kohlerengines.com/onlinecatalog/pdf/tp_2379.pdf

Good luck. :thumbs:

JUSS10

you are suppose to start these motors wide open?

Buzz

This might be a good point for discussion but I start all of my engines that way. Once they start I idle them down. How do the rest of you start them, at idle or full throttle? :thumbs:

littleredrider

I guess it's my turn to make a SWAG decision on what your problem is. (SWAG= Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) :D

I replaced it, can't remember what I gapped it at. What is it supposed to be??

Both, got the kit, tho not much there and got some carb cleaner and sprayed it out. It wasn't really that bad, only real crud was very little in the high speed needle.

Didn't do that, but one think to check.

I adjusted them I don't know how many times.....

Remember, those setting are just to get it running. Once it starts adjust the screws by turning them in or out slowly until the motor runs the smoothest. Start with the high speed because you usually start the engine with the throttle wide open.

Good luck. :thumbs:

I guess it's my turn to make a SWAG decision on what your problem is. (SWAG= Scientific Wild A$$ Guess) :thanks:

I replaced it, can't remember what I gapped it at. What is it supposed to be??

Both, got the kit, tho not much there and got some carb cleaner and sprayed it out. It wasn't really that bad, only real crud was very little in the high speed needle.

Didn't do that, but one think to check.

I adjusted them I don't know how many times.....

Good luck. :D

littleredrider

I NEVER start any engine wide open, little story to why.

I was in the military stationed in Ottawa Ontario Canada. During the winter is gets a wee cold. Usually before the end of the shift I go start my car let it warm up for a bit. This was over 10 years ago, so don't remember all the details, but it was well below 0. Anyways, for whatever reason I didn't go out a start it, just got in and took off. Well, it had some work done to it, sweet duals with Flo's, sounded real good. Trying to show off a bit, floored it out of the parking lot, and watched the temp gauge go up and up and up.

Long story but I blew a head gasket, put a groove in the head and the block. To this day I baby any motor that is cold until the temp rises. I'm a firm believer in that and will not change my ways.

The way I look at it, when you get up in the morning, the second both feet hit the ground, do you take off in a dead sprint for a marathon?? Not the greatest example, but maybe you see my point. Stuff needs to warm up before going balls to the wall.

Buzz

If you notice I said I start it full throttle then idle it down. I usually go to half throttle. The reasoning is with the choke closed and throttle full open it draws the maximum amount of gas in to start. Still waiting for other opinions.............

littleredrider

I read that, but still don't do it.

But with this motor, ANY throttle at all it will not run. OK, not all the time, I guess it depends what mood it's in. Sometime it will idle and run at higher R's, other time you mention R's and it stalls.

dgoyette

This might be a good point for discussion but I start all of my engines that way. Once they start I idle them down. How do the rest of you start them, at idle or full throttle? :thumbs:

Half throttle for me Buzz...(although I tune the carbs so that they will start at idle)

JUSS10

with my electric start motors i start those at half choke and throttle down. cranks for a few seconds then fires right up. let it warm up for a few and we are golden. my pull starts on the other hand, those seem to be a pain. usually crank them a few times with the kill switch on so it can't start then turn it on and it usually fires. when it starts its at idle with half to full choke. thats on my k181, seems to be a little cold blooded

littleredrider

Both of my 6 horse Tucky's need just a touch of throttle when cold. Just enough to bring it off idle. Once they are warm they will idle fine.

I'll try the tricks listed, see what happens.....

linen beige

I finally got a chance to use this one.

RTFM! :D

It depends on the engine. Some manuals call for half throttle (which I use whenever possible) and some call for wide open. Remember, most small engines use a combination throttle/choke cable that only closes the choke for cold starts when the throttle is wide open.