Sign in to follow this  
squonk

deck off a 64 704

squonk

I picked up a 704 in pretty good shape at the show. The deck is almost pristine but there is a little side play in the spindle shafts. I pulled the covers and it is well greased (the cover gaskets are even still intact.) I see the gear for the spindle and a snap ring that holds it on. I can see that gear moving side byside. Is there an easily replaced bearing under that? The engine doesn't run well. I turned the deck on for about 5 feet after unloading it and it seemed quite enough and cut well but I'd like to be surethat nothing is going bad.

qd-16

There are 2 sets of needle bearings on each spindle, they are not hard to change. Take your blades off and the snap ring then the spindle should come out the bottom of the housing.

All my gear drive decks have some spindle play in them but if they are not too loud or have an excessive amount of play, I don't worry about them.

The dealer where I get parts told me to grease the spindle shafts on the gear driven decks every time I use them, and also a couple squirts on the gears them too. He stressed this so I followed his advice.

If you want to tear it apart and replace all four of the spindle shaft bearings , its not that bad of a job. The hardest part of the gear drive decks is replacing the pair of belts that run to the cross shaft, its a real nuisance.

squonk

Thanks for the reply. I had a 604 when i was a kid. I remember changing those belts when I was about 12. That job should have convinced me to not get in the mechanical side of life! :thumbs:

sscotsman

The dealer where I get parts told me to grease the spindle shafts on the gear driven decks every time I use them, and also a couple squirts on the gears them too. He stressed this so I followed his advice.

Al,

how exactly do you grease the spindle shaft and the gears before each use?

and what kind of grease do you use?

I have a "white lithium grease" in a spray can, that I use for the snowblower..would that be good grease to use? or should it be the grey "grease gun" type grease? (I dont know anything about different types of grease)

My deck has one cover missing..covered with duct tape, but the other side still has the "button" attached..I cant figure out how to remove that cover! how does it come off?

On the deck manual:

http://www.mywheelhorse.com/graphics/file/...4-65_RM-364.pdf

it is:

Reference number: 49

Part number: 3757

Description: plug-button

thanks,

Scot

WH nut

The cover should have 4 screws that hold it to the deck

sscotsman

The cover should have 4 screws that hold it to the deck

yes..but..I dont think that is the cover you are supposed to remove in order to grease the spindle, and gears inside, on a regular basis..you are talking about the large "main" cover..this part:

deckcover01-M.jpg

I am talking about the tiny "plug-button"..this one:

deckcover02-M.jpg

I dont see any obvious way to remove that plug..

Or am I wrong about the plug? is that *not* what you are supposed to remove in order to grease the gears? I would imagine it is though..

thanks,

Scot

JUSS10

you need to pop that plug out, straight down inside the cover there is a grease zerk for a grease gun. that will grease the spindle shafts then stick the end of the gun in at an angle and get some grease on the gears.

Kelly

And you can get the plugs at most hardware stores, used for many things pipe end plugs to name the most common.

sscotsman

I have used my 854 to mow the lawn 4 times so far this summer!

working great! (we had a dry spell in July..didnt have to mow for about 5 weeks! lawn was brown and crispy..but now its greened up again..)

But I still havent greased the mower deck..It needs to be done now..

I still can not figure out how to remove that plug!

it doesn't "pop off"..it doesn't press in..it doesn't move at all..

there are no scrape marks from anyone prying it off with a screwdriver over the past 50 years..Can someone please explain exactly what they do when they remove those covers to grease the gears? :thumbs2:

deckcover02.jpg

thanks,

Scot

illinilefttackle

:thumbs2: Scot- don't make it harder than it is- I used a knife blade to get the plug started off-then a flat blade screw driver-they are just pushed in. No need to grease gears-when you pump grease into the zerk-the excess after the shaft bearings are full comes out greasing the gears. I do this on my 656 about once a month. Hope this helps-Al

finishedtractor006.jpg

squonk

`Since this thread got revived, I think my noise problem was the cross shaft moving back and forth making the gears bang. I have gotten 2 different shafts and both of them have excessive wear where the side bearings ride. A new shaft show still available at $175 a pop. I had Brian (buckrancher) make me a new one using an old shaft as a guide. I got new bearings from NAPA. It's giong to be a winter project. I'll let you all know how it turns out. WHAT'S THE BEST GREASE TO USE??????? :banghead: :thumbs2:

boovuc

Hi Mike,

Let me know how that winter project goes. My gear-drive deck sounds like hardware store in a turning cement mixer. I have a lot of shaft play side to side. My spindles and good. It's that shaft!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

sscotsman

:banghead: Scot- don't make it harder than it is- I used a knife blade to get the plug started off-then a flat blade screw driver-they are just pushed in. No need to grease gears-when you pump grease into the zerk-the excess after the shaft bearings are full comes out greasing the gears. I do this on my 656 about once a month. Hope this helps-Al

thanks! got it!

you were right..very easy! :banghead:

I was expecting some kind of "push-in, pop-out" type thing..so when I pushed in, and nothing happened, I thought I was either doing it wrong, or there was some other mysterious procedure I didnt know about! :thumbs2:

(for the very few, like me, who might not know how to remove those caps..just get a small flat screwdriver, stick it in the edge, and pop it off..)

thanks..the deck is now happily greased..

Scot

squonk

Hi Mike,

Let me know how that winter project goes. My gear-drive deck sounds like hardware store in a turning cement mixer. I have a lot of shaft play side to side. My spindles and good. It's that shaft!

BooVuc

Mill Hall, PA

Pull off your gear covers and I'll bet you'll see where your shaft is loose in the support bearings. Mine sounds like a woodpecker banging on a metal roof. I'm planning on taking lots of pics.