Sign in to follow this  
hoppy

ooops.....1st moving accident

hoppy

well it has to happen to everyone right??!! :thumbs:

was mowing with the old 856 around the barn today and forgot about an old wooden post that is sticking out of the ground about 6". hit it pretty good with the front roller on the deck and just about threw me out of the seat. steering wheel stopped me and that didnt feel good! the machine came to a quick stop followed by some god awe full deck noises. sure enough i curled the front of the deck in pretty good and both blades are now hitting. going to need a torch for this one i think. i tried bagging it back but this steel is a little harder then i anticipated. oh well another lesson learned. always remove old posts from the ground!!!

while i am it anyone know where to get replacement blades for these decks?

bo dawg

Ouch! :D I hate to hear that, I would be so madd I would probably try stomping down the post with my feet. Only to realize that's not a brite idea. :thumbs:

I know it can be straightened back out good enough to work again but may never be the quite the same as before looking wise. But definently a lesson learned. The good thing is no one was hurt.

Good luck getting it straighten out.

JimD

The same thing happened to my C85 deck, hit a protruding root. Of course, the whole front was rust through and was on borrowed time anyway, so I retired the deck and saved all the parts off it for others. Maybe you could find a good use pan.

hoppy

luckily for me my pan is very solid. im going to try and heat it up and bend/hammer it in to place enough to work again.

rickv1957

While them decks are made of heavy metal,they can be straightened out,as Ive done a few!,Rick

whfan74

while i am it anyone know where to get replacement blades for these decks?

Send me a pm........we might have an extra set. They aren't cheap one's if my memory serves me correctly. They are NOS in the box.

Operator

My 520H was being navigated by the wife a few years ago and did the same thing! Hit a stump, I banned her from my tractors for a few years after that. I had to use a BFH but it came out alrite.

She's lucky she is still living here :thumbs: after that one.

Randy

hoppy

i guess my pride is hurt more then the deck. i weed wack around that pole all the time. by the time i remembered it was there it was to late. :thumbs:

the funniest part was when all the parents at the soccer field right here turned to see what the hell all the noise was. after the initial hit was followed by what sounded like a helicopter....................in actuality all it was was the blades hitting the deck hard!

ohwell. another project for another day. thankfully we have other options for mowing.