Sign in to follow this  
yamahalic63

Oregon Gator blades, anyone using them?

yamahalic63

I've got a 42" SD deck on my 520 that could use a set of new blades. Saw Oregon Gator blades and wondering if anyone has used them and what they think of them vs. OEM?? :D

btrrg1969

I had a set on my 312-8 , didn't like em that much (for grass) they seem to have a low vac and wouldn't pull up the grass good for a smooth cut . I went back to regular blades , they pull up the grass alot better . Also with the gator blades the grass stuck to the under side of my deck , they dont discharge well. Brandon :D

C-Series14

Been using the same set of Gator Blades for several years now. I like them. They are awesome on leaves too!

jimbotelho

does anyone know the item# for the blades? I also am restoring a 42 side disc deck and was thinking about putting a set on any body ??? :D

Wheel Horse Fan

I use them and like them. They seem to mulch pretty well.

C-Series14

does anyone know the item# for the blades? I also am restoring a 42 side disc deck and was thinking about putting a set on any body ??? :USA:

That darn google did it again!!! :D

http://www.jackssmallengines.com/gatToro.cfm

Where I got mine....

Duff

I had a set on my 312-8 , didn't like em that much (for grass) they seem to have a low vac and wouldn't pull up the grass good for a smooth cut . I went back to regular blades , they pull up the grass alot better . Also with the gator blades the grass stuck to the under side of my deck , they dont discharge well. Brandon :USA:

Brandon, you've got my curiousity here. What deck were you using? My 37"SD on my 312-8 cuts like a dream with Gator blades. It discharges very evenly and with good distance, and the under deck build up is minimal unless the grass is really wet.

I've noticed that the volume of the discharge has reduced significantly since I switched to the Gators, but that is probably because they are designed as mulching blades and do so very effectively, at least in my applications (three tractors, 37" on a WH, 46" and 48" decks on JD's, mowing upwards of four acres a week).

Duff :D

linen beige

Looks like the style of deck has a LOT to do with the Gator blade's efficiency. I put a set on my Craftsman mower. Mowed dry grass with it. I wasn't impressed. a few days later I used them again on slightly damp grass. They were so bad I took them off, re installed the dull originals and mowed again (I've since replaced these with new, OEM blades) The Gators won't go back on that deck.

racinfool40

I have them on my 518-H with 42" deck don't like them for dry mowing as stated above not much vacuum in fine grass but I put them back on in fall for mulching leaves and they work great for that.!!

bk-scouter

I have four sets for my 48" on a 314-8. Two sets of factory issue, and two sets of Gators. The Gators always cut better and more even than the other ones, and definitely held a sharper edge MUCH longer too. I used Gators with my power vacuum bagger, and it greatly reduced the clogging problem I was having occasionally. I like them.

-BK.

btrrg1969
I had a set on my 312-8 , didn't like em that much (for grass) they seem to have a low vac and wouldn't pull up the grass good for a smooth cut . I went back to regular blades , they pull up the grass alot better . Also with the gator blades

Doubletrouble

I was thinking of putting gators on my 36" deck but no so sure now. I dont know how well they would do on a 3 blade application anyway. I may just go with OEM replacements. I'm glad this topic came up again before I buy.

camaross

gators have their place but like mentioned above they do not produce enough vaccuum in tall wet grass for a good cut

late summer/fall gators are great , but for fast growing spring growth(usually wet too) regular high lifts work better.

three blade decks work just as well with gators as long as its short and dry

gwgdog66

I have a set of Gators PN# 90643 on my 42" SD deck. I like them, the clippings are a bit smaller, and you will have to scrape the underside of the deck a bit more often. The do not stand the grass blades up as well as the OEM blades.

I have a set of the regular OEM spec Oregon replacement blades on my 42" RD deck and they are working out really well.

brider

Regarding the lack of vacuum reported by several of you:

Wouldn't you regain the vacuum characteristics AND enjoy the benefits of the Gators by running BOTH OEM and Gators at the same time, 90 deg apart on each spindle?

I've read of others doing it, and I'm suprised nobody mentioned it in this thread. That's what I'm going to try.

gwgdog66

Regarding the lack of vacuum reported by several of you:

Wouldn't you regain the vacuum characteristics AND enjoy the benefits of the Gators by running BOTH OEM and Gators at the same time, 90 deg apart on each spindle?

I've read of others doing it, and I'm suprised nobody mentioned it in this thread. That's what I'm going to try.

I tried it on my 42" RD deck. It worked well until a rock hit the nut just right and the right side blades let loose. I'm glad no one was close.

GlenPettit

Really like the Gator Blades.

I use the double blade sets, with the Gator Blades just above the OEM blades at 90