Sign in to follow this  
Fastnloose

Engine Swap B&S to Kohler

Fastnloose

I'm looking at buying a WorkHorse GT1142 and it is in good shape. I'm more familiar with the kohlers than Briggs.

Thanks,

Chris

SWOhio

rickv1957

Hello and :D Good luck on the workhorse!,Rick

wedgeheaded
http://www.dotphoto.com/go.asp?l=wedgeheaded&AID=6160685 This link takes you to an online photo album of my old 82 SB 421. It had a B&S as OE but I changed it to a 12hp K Kohler. I had to make an adapter to get the motor to sit where I wanted it on the frame. I also had to have a mechinest drill out the PTO hole as the Kohler was larger. The hood had to be trimmed in several places to clear the motor and gas tank. All in all, not a big job. Still works and runs great too. Best to ya.

dgjks6

Is the motor bad? Briggs does not make a bad motor. Also the sheet metal on the GT is not much different from the 300's so I don't think there will be much cutting involved.

Now if the drive pulley is in the same position I don't know.

BPC23

Chris, welcom to the club!

I did a full teardown and rebuild a couple years ago of a GT-1142 and stuffed an old Kohler 14hp under the hood. I simply had to drill four new holes in the frame to get it to fit. Of course, I had to redo the wiring harness and add a regulator/recitifier, but the task was manageable. Also, the engine came with an electric clutch, so I didn't have to mess with modifying the clutch engagement linkage.

121_2127.jpg

Give me shout if you have any questions.

Brian

rickv1957

Brian,your tractor looks great! :D Rick