Sign in to follow this  
MaineDad

Detent Plug Removal

MaineDad

Guys,

I am going to rebuild my neighbor's Unidrive 8 Speed. My first tranny rebuild. I have the service manual and have everything split as required. I am at the point of trying to remove the detent plug. It isn't coming out! I am using a screwdriver to try to pry it out. Any other suggestions?

TT

I use a small pick to punch a hole in the middle of the plug, then I run a long sheetmetal screw in until it bottoms against the shift rail. Keep turning and it will pull the little plug out of the hole.

010810tranz007.jpg

MaineDad

Terry,

Thanks it worked! Nice job. For your next trick, how the heck do I get the ball and spring out?

TT

The detent balls will fall out of the fork holes and I use an old gun cleaning brush to clean out the access hole so the spring (and pin) will come out. A skinny little magnet comes in handy during extraction, but I usually can't find mine. :D

stevasaurus

If you need more magnet...a long allen wrench with a speaker magnet on the end works great. :D

linen beige

If you need more magnet...a long allen wrench with a speaker magnet on the end works great. :D

Gotta be hard to hear a speaker that small. :USA:

KC9KAS

For a small magnet, get a small pocket screwdriver, wrap the steel shank tightly with as many coils of insulated wire as possible, touch one end of the wire to the positive, and the other end of the wire to the negative post of a 12 V battery, and you have just magnatized your small screwdriver!

stevasaurus

Jim...that's called "good old yanky ingenuity". :D