Sign in to follow this  
wheelhorsec165

Kohler Engine Question, kinda odd?

wheelhorsec165

Hi Guys,

I'm new to the forum, I'm sure I'll have many more questions to follow. I just purchased a C-165, pretty psyched about it. My first question is the engine is a Kohler K301AS, with a spec number of 71311. When I read up on the K301AS it shows it as a 12hp, the K341AS as a 16hp. The engine is labeled 16hp and the spec number is a 16hp, what do you think. I know the C-165 comes with a 16hp. Kinda strange? :D

rmaynard

:D

Welcome to the group. I am a little confused, but maybe I've been out in the sun too much today.

What does the label on the engine's blower cover on your tractor say, K301AS or K341AS? In one line you say that it is a K301, but then you say it is labeled K341.

The 1981 C-165 came with a K341AS-71311A engine.

The spec number would be correct for your model, but could the "4" in the number be a little obliterated so that it looks like a "0"?

On the other hand it could be a rare misprint from Kohler.

Take a closeup picture of the label and post it here so we can see it.

Bob

wheel horse man

A K301AS stands for 12hp A stands for special oil pan and the S stands for electric start. now i dont know why it comes up as a 16HP

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick

wheelhorsec165

Thanks for the welcome. Sorry guys it is labeled K301AS on the cover. The spec number is 71311 and it is labeled 16HP on the engine in two different spots. I'll post a pic as soon as I can.

wheelhorsec165

IMG_0263-1.jpg

Here is the photo of the labels.

dobeleo

Thats wild.

If you have to pull the head off, the K301 has a 3.375 bore, the K341 has a 3.75 bore. The strokes are the same.

I have the service manual for the engine manual if you need it (pdf). Let me know and i will send it to you.

Dan

wheel horse man

that 71 on the spec Number means it is a k341 so it must been a factory missprint

wheelhorsec165

Thats wild.

If you have to pull the head off, the K301 has a 3.375 bore, the K341 has a 3.75 bore. The strokes are the same.

I have the service manual for the engine manual if you need it (pdf). Let me know and i will send it to you.

Dan

Dan, if you could send me the pdf, that would be great and much appreciated. I have the same JD with wagon in your avatar from when I was a kid. My boys have little Ford 8N pedal tractors.

wheelhorsec165

Thanks for the responses, definately a bit odd. :D

TT

No need to pull anything apart.......

A K341 (16hp) has 10 head bolts.

K241, 301, & 321 engines only have 9.

ChevelleSSLS6

No need to pull anything apart.......

A K341 (16hp) has 10 head bolts.

K241, 301, & 321 engines only have 9.

good save :D

wheelhorsec165

Checked it out and it does in fact have 10 head bolts, definately a 16HP, now I have a rare 16HP K301! :D