Sign in to follow this  
wh653

Time for a motor change?

wh653

Hi, I have been trying to fire up a old Tecumseh motor. I cleaned the mice nest out from under the flywheel and got spark changed the plug, tryed gas in the cylinder sprayed the carb and not even a chug or a burp that it is trying to start? I always thought spark and fuel you were good to go? I have the key switch disconected, as that looks like someone had it rigged. any ideas or what a good replacement motor would be? The motor is not stock from what I was told, it looks like the tag says it is 8HP but not sure. Thanks in advance Scott

Docwheelhorse

HI---yes spark, fuel and compression are the three ingredients. But.... the spark must be at the right time, the fuel must be in a decent air/fuel ratio and the compression has to be somewhere near spec. If you took the coil off the engine to clean the mouse nest and simply put it back on it may be way off time---Tecumsehs are a real PITA when it comes to that. As far as spark.... it is MUCH harder for an engine to make spark under compression----so if you see spark at the plug it doesn't mean you have spark when you screw the plug in. Also--try another plug---if it is a Champion ( :D ) I have seen them show spark laying on the cylinder head and absolutely refuse to spark screwed in, even though the engines ignition was up to the task. As far as compression, I don't know what the spec for a Tecumseh 8 is but would definietly look for 50-75 lbs as a min to get the thing running. Keep working at it and it will go.

Good Luck

Tony

wh653

Thanks I did have the coil off and tryed to put it back as close as possible? I am going to try to order a coil, I just dont want to put alot of$ in the motor just to look for a newer one. I just want to ride this baby around and cut some grass!

Docwheelhorse

Hi--you won't need to buy a new coil if you have spark.... you will only have to properly time the coil---you notice the slots in the coil, those are so the coil can be rotated to put the armature in the proper spot for the magnets to pass and throw a spark at the proper time. I don't know how to time it properly--I always had someone else do it, I just know that it is critical and the Tecumsehs just won't run/start.

Tony