Sign in to follow this  
figo40

K-141 carb adjustment

figo40

I have an original K-141 on my 633 which has the Tilitson carb on it. I cannot find a rebuild kit for it anywhere so i just fiddle with the choke / throttle feathering as it runs. The engine usually starts on the scond pull and runs very well, but the choke has to be out just slightly to run at an even rmp. Does this sound normal for a 47 year old engine that was rebuilt who knows when, if ever?

Frank

rickv1957

Sounds like engine needs a bit more fuel,can you open main jet screw a bit,Rick

figo40

I have tried that a few times, it just does not seam to want to run well without a little choke.

hoppy

sounds to me like you need your carb cleaned. gaskets dont always have to be replaced. maybe trying some seafoam in your gas might clear it up but i prefer the actual carb clean method better.

TT

There's a real good chance that the throttle shaft bore through the carb body is worn and the extra air being sucked in is leaning out the mixture. By closing the choke slightly, you're putting more "draw" on the main jet while simultaneously cutting some of the air out of the mixture.

As you already seem to have noticed, finding parts for these dinosaurs is close to impossible, so you might need to seek the services of a machine shop if you want to repair the Tillotson.

You might also want to inspect the intake manifold (elbow) for any signs of cracking that might be another source of extra air. (a.k.a. - a vacuum leak) The intake elbows were slightly famous for cracking/breaking which is why a lot of the Tillotsons were replaced by the Kohler model "N" carbs.

The other thing to check would be fuel flow from the tank. Since there's no fuel pump, there can't be any restriction at the shut-off or anywhere in the line. I have better luck keeping the fuel level at half to full at all times, especially when operating the tractor on long uphill grades.

The Tillotson updraft on my 633 is very finicky and needs tweaked about every other time I run it. Fortunately, that's usually only once or twice a year. :D

figo40

Well I checked it out again and the throttle shaft is worn and wobbly just a little, so for now I will continue to just feather the throttle and choke and keep an eye out for a replacement carb.

Thanks guys.

TT

The nice thing about the 633 is that they (Kohler) used both the Tillotson and the Carter model N carb during that time frame. If you want to replace the updraft carb with the more-common (and easy to find parts for) Carter N, the "Wheel Horse police" will not come after you. :D

You'll need the appropriate carb, (#18 or 20, I believe) governor arm and link, short air cleaner assembly, and you probably should install a vacuum or mechanical fuel pump since the side-draft carb sits higher on the engine.