Sign in to follow this  
clintonnut

Positive Ground?!?!

clintonnut

Is it okay just to switch the cables so it is a negative ground? My 876 for some reason has positive ground? Will it mess with the voltage regulator?

Charlie

pfrederi

If your engine is spec 30108d you will also need to reverse the wires on your coil. For a positive ground system the wire from the ignition switch goes to the - terminal on the coil ...the + terminal goes to the points.

For negative ground switch wire to + and - to the points.

Not sure about your regulator...mechanical regulators are specific for positive ground....don't know about the solid state stuff

TT

:D

It was negative ground when I owned it. :USA:

Fiddlestix

Will it mess with the voltage regulator?

When I first read this I immediately thought: "Of course! The Delco Remy controller is toast!"

I thought about it for a while since my elderly father commonly reversed the battery on his two positive ground Fords (9N and 600). Always unpon the replacement of the battery. I recall that several times we didn't need to do anything.

I pulled out an old (1962) Delco Remy training manual and it did not directly say so, but in several diagrams for testing, I states "positive or negative ground". Implying the controller does not care about polarity.

How did yours work out? :D

clintonnut

The regulator works and it charges. I guess I'll just switch the wires around and keep peace of mind. I hooked up headlights on it today with no problem.

Thanks for the advice

Charlie