Sign in to follow this  
Herbl

520-H Blows 25 amp fuse

Herbl

It seems as though it can run for hours mowing and then it gets a spell of blowing the 25 amp fuse. The year model is 95 and I've cleaned the fuse holder and it really looks OK but I haven't unbolted it and looked from the bottom but the connection look in good shape, can one of the switches be shorting out? Maybe someone can help...

***** Posted in wrong Forum, can this be moved to Electrical ******

WH nut

Check the wires at the rectifier to make sure they are close to the metal schoud and touching once in awhile

Save Old Iron

Check the wires at the rectifier to make sure they are close to the metal schoud and touching once in awhile

Make that

"Check the wires at the rectifier to make sure they are NOT close to the metal shroud and NOT touching once in awhile"

Save Old Iron

Even if the fuse holder looks clean, it may be cheaper in the long run to replace a 30 amp capacity weatherproof fuse holder for $3 than several additional fuses.

WH nut

LOL thanks old iron, I was thinking faster than I can type

Herbl

Well I cleaned and checked the connectors to make sure they are not touching the shroud. everything looked good. I removed and cleaned inside and out the fuse block, I didn't see anything that looked bad. I cleaned the back of the ignition switch (very dirty) and last but not least I took apart and cleaned the nine pin connector (looked also good). I used WD40 for the cleaner and wiped off all excess. Put everything back together and now I get nothing, no lights, no gauges, no cranking to start. Boy am I good, I went from an intermittent problem to nothing works I call that progress. Can someone give me some help in trying to track the problem, I really am pretty mechanical, I restored a 68 Chevelle but this 520 has me a bit stumped....help...

Save Old Iron

SOIisnuts.jpg

Good news, bad news Herbl.

You now know where the problem ( and possible future problems) where located.

The 9 pin connector is intermittent and the fuse holders are NOTORIOUS causes of intermittent issues. Cleaning the connectors just don't provide a good fix as the molex pins loose their ability to compress tightly against their mate ( insert jokes here) in the shell and always end up producing an intermittent electrical connection.

Search for the term "molex" on this site. There is plenty of info to suggest replacement of the 9 pin connector is the only way to go.

Trust me on this one - I work with equipment that uses molex connectors and they are only rated for so many years of use and so many insertion / reinsertion cycles before they start becoming an issue.

Herbl

Hi Guys, thanks for all the advice, I took a look at the connectors this morning and was just about to dig into the molex connector when I said, check the battery. Well guess what the battery was stone dead, zero volts, when I picked it up and out of the tractors one or more cells must have shorted, check with volt meter and zero. Is it possible that the battery trip the fuse because when i went over a bump or something it must have shorted internally, just a guess but something to think about OK enough thinking back to a cold beverage. I guess everytime you move a battery it can move some particles in the bottom and there it goes. Anyone else have an experience like that?.....if you guys like I could certain treat you to a picture of my 68 Chevelle..only if you would like...

Save Old Iron

Good catch Herb,

the wonders of troubleshooting ! You have your attention fixed on one area and the darned tractor throws you a curve ball.

A good lesson learned. When I started building engines back in the 70's, my teacher started me off with one saying that sticks with me even today. "Check it, then check it again, and then check it again."

But zero volts :USA::D

Check your meter just in case - measure a car battery or flashlight battery just to make sure its not a bad meter lead. It's a little suspicious the battery just completely went dead. A shorted cell in the battery would generally reduce the battery voltage and kill your cranking power - not drop the total battery voltage to zero. Something in the 520 could have drained off the battery charge overnight.

Try to recharge the battery. Monitor it carefully for the first few minutes in case its shorted and kicks out the circuit breaker on your charger.

Let us know when your ready for the next step.

Herbl

I didn't go into detail but like yourself I believe in having an ohm/volt meter. I used this meter to verify that the battery was tone dead. I never seen a battery have zero volts but that is what this had. The battery wasn't in the tractor to suck down the voltage at the time of measurement. I then put it on my Sears charger that has different setting and after charging for several hours I did get some life back in it but when I put it under load (volts 12 but CCA <120), I check my CCA with a Solar digital meter for batteries. I thank everyone and look forward to participating in many discussions on this forum.

Chuck, I see your not far from me (poughkeepsie area) perhaps we can have coffee sometime.....

Save Old Iron

Chuck, I see your not far from me (poughkeepsie area) perhaps we can have coffee sometime.....

Herb,

I'd like that and I will take you up on the coffee on my next trip down your way. I used to live in Kingston in the 1980's and did biomedical service at hospitals in your area, mainly St Francis and St Lukes.

I just passed thru that way a week or so ago - picked up a small lathe down in the Nyack area. I don't get down that way too frequently but I will give you a shout next time I go thru.

As far as the battery, very strange. I could understand maybe a plate breaking away from the main wiring in the battery body, but that would not allow the battery to recharge, Strange stuff.

So are you all set now or are we still dealing with blowing fuses ? If they continue to blow - measure the DC voltage drop across the fuse holder when the tractor is running / charging the battery. If you see ANY significant voltage drop ( say 1/4 volt or more) there is corrosion in the fuse holder which will eventually overheat the fuse and cause it to prematurely fail. And don't forget to consider changing out the 9 pin Molex if you continue to have squirrely intermittent electrical issues.

Herbl

Chuck

I haven't really had a chance to fully test my 520H out yet because of the weather but i certainly will let you know about if this was the problem. I know that the fuse block and molex connector are just waiting there turn for replacement.... Thanks again for all the assitance...

Save Old Iron

Just out of curiosity ...

how old is the battery that we are talking about ?

Herbl

03/2004 was on the tag......

linen beige

I used to live in Kingston in the 1980's and did biomedical service at hospitals in your area

Not meaning to get :D But did this "service" involve you, some skwirls, and a mad scientist?

Buzz

03/2004 was on the tag......

It lived to a ripe old age may it rest in peace :D ............. You got your money's worth.

Save Old Iron

I used to live in Kingston in the 1980's and did biomedical service at hospitals in your area

Not meaning to get :D But did this "service" involve you, some skwirls, and a mad scientist?

Yeah, but I think rumors have greatly exaggerated what happened there.

giantsquirrel.jpg

linen beige

RATZILLA!