Sign in to follow this  
mkevinr63

Oil and Transmission lube

mkevinr63

I was pressure washing the ol' 310-8 yesterday and as I was cleaning around and under the seat I noticed the boot around the shift lever was cracked and worn. I moved the machine back into the garage and checked the fluid, it appears to me that some water may have gotten inside. The fluid was a tan color and looked to be a little bubbly. I am planning on draining and changing the fluid this evening, but I am concerned about an entry point and if I hurt anything driving it back to the garage? I would also like to inquire as to what type of transmission lubricant is best for this machine. Oh yea, going to go ahead and give her some new engine oil too, what is best or recommended for the original 10HP Kohler? :D

Happy Memorial Day!

:USA:

rickv1957

30wt is fine for engine,90wt for trans,Rick

acsousa82

Kevin,

I'm with Rick as far as both viscosities for engine and tranny oil. I wouldn't sweat any tranny damage with any water entering through the shift lever. It probably only accumulated while you were power washing the tractor and the tranny oil is so thick that the water generally tends to collect on top of the oil and not so much mixing in with it. Rust would be more of a concern if the condition was left for an extended period of time. When I first got my 64 Ranger, while just checking the tranny fluid level upon opening the viewing hole I had water gushing out that had built up on top of the oil from the machine being left out in the rain by the previous owner. :D

mkevinr63

Great, thanks to you both, now for a real dumb one...how many quarts of oil does it take? I do not have the owners manual.

Duff

Great, thanks to you both, now for a real dumb one...how many quarts of oil does it take? I do not have the owners manual.

Not dumb at all - 2 quarts in the tranny. I don't have my Kohler Manual here with me, so I'm not sure on the engine.

Duff :D

Horse Fanatic

And replace the boot on your shifter!