Sign in to follow this  
TOPCOP

C-100 Charging Problem

TOPCOP

I just picked up another Horse off E-Bay it is a mix between a C100 and a Charger 12, that a local guy put together. It runs and works fine, has the hydraulic deck and hitch. The problem I have is it doesn't charge the battery, it has the electric pto.

The battery charges with battery charger, but the tractor kills it even if I don't use the pto, and just drive it, or pull a drag blade.When I disconnect the negative battery cable with the tractor running, it cuts off. It worked fine when I got it but it started this this past week. It has a car battery in it. :D

Any Ideas where to start. Thanks Gary :USA:

rmaynard

What engine does it have on it?

stoneman

i'm pretty sure the stator keeps your battery charged. you may have a short, or a loose/disconnected wire. or the stator may be bad. you'll need an ohm meter to test it, and if you google "stator test", you can learn how to do it if you don't know. you'll get it figured out from one of the encyclopedias of knowledge found on this sight. :D

TOPCOP

The Engine on the C-100 Charger mix is a 10 hp. Kohler. also it has the elct. block (can't think of the name right now) inside under the steering wheel.

Thanks Gary

TOPCOP

I forgot to mention that this use to be a a 8 speed and now it is an auto just like my C195. I don't think that makes a diff. as it was charging when I got it and I used it several times and when I did mow with it it did not kill the battery. I'll try the stator check and see what happens, any other Ideas I'll go through them all Thanks again Gary

rmaynard

There are two wires coming out of the engine. They are connected to the stator which sits behind the flywheel. Those two wires produce about 28 volts AC. To check the stator, with the engine running, connect a meter (set to the AC scale) to the two wires. Be careful not the short them out. You should get a reading of about 28 volts AC at 3600 RPM. If you don't, the stator is bad. If you can't check it with the engine running, use an ohm meter to check it. With the engine off, connect your ohm meter to the two wires. You should get a reading of 0.1 to 0.2 ohms. Next check from each lead to ground. The meter should read nothing (open). If you get a reading, the stator is shorted to ground.

If all is well in the stator area, reconnect the AC leads to the AC terminals on the rectifier.

Put your meter in the DC mode, 20 volts or higher. Disconnect the wire from the output (B+) of the rectifier. Place the red lead (+) of your meter on the output of the rectifier (B+), and the other lead (-) to ground. With the engine running at 3600 RPM, you should have about 14 volts DC. If you don't, the rectifier is probably bad.

If theses readings all check out, you have a good charging system.

This is the basic test for all engines with a stator and rectifier such as yours.

Bob

Save Old Iron

Check from each lead to ground. It should read 0.

Bob, I know what you were thinking - but this came out wrong.

Whatever your meter happens to read when both leads are separated (on the ohms scale) is what the meter should read when you are checking each stator lead to ground.

Some meters read OVR or OVF for overrange - some will just "----" out indicating no continuity.

No continuity is what you would expect from each stator lead to ground.

:D

rmaynard

Check from each lead to ground. It should read 0.

Bob, I know what you were thinking - but this came out wrong.

Whatever your meter happens to read when both leads are separated (on the ohms scale) is what the meter should read when you are checking each stator lead to ground.

Some meters read OVR or OVF for overrange - some will just "----" out indicating no continuity.

No continuity is what you would expect from each stator lead to ground.

:USA:

Chuck,

You are correct. :D I have edited my response.

When taking a reading from either lead to ground, there should be no change in the meter, or simply put, "whatever your meter shows when you ain't doin' nuttin', that's what it should be reading".

Thanks for clearing up my mistake.

Bob

TT

You should get a reading of about 28 volts AC at 3600 RPM. If you don't, the stator is bad.

It could also mean that the magnets glued to the inside of the flywheel have come loose and are now stuck to the stator. :D