Sign in to follow this  
grnlark

Baird Beaver Model H

grnlark

Last week I picked up a late 50's Baird Beaver tractor. This particular model is a tiller steer with a Wisconsin engine. I've always wanted one of these tractors as they were built in Stratford, CT which is about 45 minutes from where I live. It was missing rear tires and had a funky seat on it, but my brother had an extra set of Wheel Horse rims and I bolted on an extra Panzer seat I had on the shelf. I'm hoping to get it fired up sometime next week.

Attached Image

post-11-1274830444.jpg

grnlark

engine pic

Attached Image

post-11-1274830488.jpg

rickv1957

Looks to be in good shape!,Rick

bmuone

amazing what comes out of history....that one was not made for quick stops!

CasualObserver

Nice tractor. I've got this ad from 1957 with a steering wheel that looks real close to yours, so yours must be just a shade older than that.

1957Beaverad.jpg

VinsRJ

Cool unit my Bro, but its no Pinto! Nice tires.

Buzz

Nice tractor. I've got this ad from 1957 with a steering wheel that looks real close to yours, so yours must be just a shade older than that.

1957Beaverad.jpg

A very interesting curved steering column. What do you suppose was inside of it, a cable? :D I'd like a close look at that set up.

grnlark
Nice tractor.

linen beige

(1) I essentially ended up with a free Beaver here.

(2) These tractors were supposedly built by aircraft engineers in an attempt to keep them busy and working during the time of the depression.

1. Every man's dream.

2. That doesn't sound right. If these were built in the 50s the depression had been over for more than a decade.

grnlark

2. That doesn't sound right. If these were built in the 50s the depression had been over for more than a decade.

From what I've read, the Baird Manufacturing Co. was actually founded in 1910 and occassionally took on side "projects" building various equipment prototypes etc. In the early 40's, owner Art Lewis, was asked by Mr. Hancock (owner of The Garden King Tractor Company) if he could improve the design of the Acme tractor (made by the Smathers Manufacturing Co of Bravard, NC). The suggested improvements to the Acme later led to the manufacturing of Baird Beaver tractors.