Sign in to follow this  
hcminis

Suburban 550 Drive Belt to Transmission

hcminis

Stupid new guy question.

When I push the brake pedal to disengage the idler pulley for the drive belt the pulley on the transmission still turns with the motor. The idler pulley is not touching the belt and therefore should stop. The transmission grinds bad to get into gear. Sometimes the belt will stop enough so it won't grind. I think the PO may have put the wrong size belt on which I just purchased and will try a new one this evening. However, is the brake pedal also suppose to stop the drive pulley inside the transmission? OR is the pedal simply to disengage the idler pulley?

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Thanks in advance.

wallfish

Do you have a belt guard? Or is it installed?

The belt guard will keep the belt from engaging on the engine pulley when the clutch is pushed. If you don't have a belt guard, you can use a piece of 1/4" rod to make a belt guide to stop the belt from engaging. Don't keep grinding those old gears or it won't stay in gear and will keep popping out.

hcminis

John

It didn't have a belt guard when I bought it. Thus, no guard and I'm assuming the stop is mounted inside the guard? Any pictures of the guard from the inside? Talked to MikesRJ and he mentioned making a stop. Just need to figure out where and how. OR, if anyone has an extra guard that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

wallfish

The guard itself guides the belt, nothing inside it. It supports the belt to keep it from partially engaging the pulley groove when the clutch is pressed. I'll see if I can get you a pic of one that I made out of 1/4" round bar. I may have lost it since all the tractors have belt guards now. It's basically bent into an L shape with a loop hole bent onto one end for a bolt to go through. It bolts to the motor in the same hole as the guard would and supports the belt.

If you have a walk behind 2 stage snowblower, you can pull off the belt cover and usually see 2 of them bolted to the motor to guide the belt around the pulley.

hcminis

John

Any help would be appreciated. BAD news....the K121 is giving my HUGE troubles. Since this isn't the original motor the pulley location is way off which means the OEM belt won't work. Therefore, any belt cover won't work either. Now I am really upset because the tractor I've always wanted can't be used. At a HUGE lose...any help would be greatly appreciated.

This is a big let down for me today. Hope there is a solution to this because it sure looks good all clean.

Thanks