Sign in to follow this  
Wilsonrl48747

Maintaining a hydro C161

Wilsonrl48747

Just picked up a C161 Hydro, and from searching the forums here, I see that it should take 10/40 oil when a fill or a change is needed, but I was wondering if there are any standard maintainence routines besides checking the fluid level for these. How often should the fluid be changed?

I also understand there is a towing valve that you open to allow you to push the tractor without damaging the trans, so I need to find that and figure out how it works.

Finally, are there any considerations regarding a hydro vs. a manual transmission, for example, I know if I use it in the cold, I will need to wait for the oil to heat up before using it. Are there other secrets to using a hydro that should be revealed???

A thought about the cold oil in winter, could you use one of those dipstick electric heaters to keep the oil warm? Anyone try that or have problems with that?

MikesRJ

Maintenance procedures are contained in the Service Manual beginning in Section 3-General Maintenance.

The push Valve is detailed on page 32 of the PDF manual (Section 5, pg. 5-6). The valve is located inboard of the left rear wheel, on the side of the transmission.

Cold weather Operations: someone else will be happy to answer for you.

C-161 Service Manual