hcminis

Craftsman Indy 500 Race Tractor

hcminis

Hello everyone. Friend of mine has this Craftsman Indy 500 that we can't find any info on. All the tractors we find don't have the plate or the number decals. Believe this was used for Danny Sulivan's race team. Anyone have any extra info on these? Were there specific tractors for each team?

MVC-123F.jpg

MVC-125F.jpg

MVC-126F.jpg

W9JAB

WoW LOOK'S FAST!

:D

Coadster32

Looks like a bread box with nice decals to me. :D

sodbuster

I have seen alot of craftsman tractors.never heard of one of those!! nice find!!

wh500special

Jim

wh500special

Just remembered seeing one in Crawfordsville a while back too. I don't recall his eBay name anymore - used to be "poorboytrying" or something - but his name was Les somthing...I'll probably remember his name later.

Anyway, he had one too. All of you guys are within about 60 miles of the track, so perhaps the distribution area for these was kind of limited. (I'm only guessing here, so don't bet the farm on any of this.)

Steve

Jim_M

I remember them, I can't swear to it, but 1992 keeps coming to mind. They had a Briggs and Stratton opposed Twin cyl. engine in them. Most likely the 18 horse, it seems to have been popular in Craftsman tractors.

Sorry I'm not much help, but nice find. Steve's right, to the right guy it's worth pretty good money.

rickv1957

Nice tractor there!,Rick

rickv1957

Nice tractor there!,Rick

wh500special

Nice tractor there!,Rick

You can say that again! :USA:

Oh wait, you did. :D

Steve

linen beige

Can I say "You can say that again!", again?

Or did I? :D

dscott2000

Looks like a 917 model. I have one too. But it isnt the indy edition. It is 44 inch cut, 18hp Briggs I/C Twin, and a 6 speed transmission. Word to the wise though.. Watch the belts on those. They tend to chew through them like crazy! :D BTW, the id plate usually under the seat.

• Like 1

rustyoldjunk

i have had two of the indy 500 edition sears garden tractors here over the last few years with the 6 speed hi-lo range trans. one had the onan 20hp twin and one had the 18 hp briggs horizontal twin.the differences between mine and the one here is on the tag instead of saying "special edition" the tags on the ones here stated "this tractor was used at the indianapolis motor speedway" or something very close to that and there was no number on the side.one appeared to still have the tow hooks on the rear hitch plate.i just stopped and asked about another one sitting that i have been watching for a while.it does have a number on it but i dont know what the tag on it says because i havent gotten that close to it.im waiting to hear back and if i get it home i will post pictures.as for collectability you would think so but of the two i sold i didnt find much collector interest.fast edit: i had only seen the garden tractors as indy 500 edition until a while back it seems like i saw a lighter lawn tractor marked this way.

• Like 1

FAST41

Great info. The 19 hp engine on this one has me stumped about the lobe at low or mid idle, then when the governor kicks in is a little powerhouse engine. I’ve never been a big fan of Briggs twin cyl engines.. we had 2 of them and the both burnt a valve. So was concerned when he dealt the guy outta this one. But so far I gotta say I’m impressed with the carb and intake system.. and the power. 

• Like 1