Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C-160 update

T-Mo

I'm with Karl - I'm dying to see it also.

Rollerman

Eldon.....waiting? :D

Stephen in northern IN....Watching the FEL 16Auto on ebay

kj4kicks

Daily update.....

First thing this morning, finished fitting the 160 hood and fender pan to the 520. It all fits now. Lots of new holes in the fender pan, and a big notch in the back of the hood..

Took some pictures.

While the fender pan was off, took it outside and removed another 2 pounds of greasy grassy gunky junk from the back half. The 160 parts now go to the blaster for prep and maybe some louver stamping. Put the originals back on for now. Had to order a bushing for the belt tensioner rod, so I still can't put it all back together

:P

With the whole afternoon in front of me, it was time to do "the swap". Removed the FEL from the 160 and installed it on the 520. Everything lined up like it should. The engine bracket just needed a bit of grinding on one edge to fit the Onan, but it lined up perfect (thanks to a factory slot in the bracket).

Took some more pics, and even got a couple of the Horse hauler for the other thread.

I'll get the pics off the camera tomorrow, and upload a few of them (hopefully I can figure that out). If all else fails, I'll send them to Karl to post :D

The dealer now knows me by name, and they almost have my phone number memorized. That can't be good, can it?

Eldon... in Utopia

T-Mo

The dealer now knows me by name, and they almost have my phone number memorized. That can't be good, can it?

Eldon... in Utopia

That might not be a bad thing if and when your dealer gets a tractor or an attachment in that he can not resell.

nylyon

I wonder if one of the decal makers could make a C-520 decal for the side of the hood stand. I'm really looking forward to seeing this and will gladly host the pictures if you can't get them loaded.

Rollerman

You know how on the TV show "Cheers" Norm would walk in &...... :D

Stephen in northern IN...no one know me at a bar but well known at the horse dealer.

kj4kicks

After finishing the yard work for the day, I found myself with a few hours of daylight still left. That's when I get dangerous...

I starting thinking about that naked C160 (with hydraulic lift) in the trailer, and just how heavy the snowblower is on the front of the 1077. And that I hate changing implements. And that the 160 has the HD spindles and 4 ply tires. And you can guess what happened next....

Since I won't get the mower deck until spring from my friend, the 160 will be the snowblower machine this winter (at least).

Of course the mounting is way different since it's an ancient WH blower. I machined a pin to hook it up to the front quick-tach. The blower had 3/4" holes, and the mount has 5/8" slots. The only other thing was to cut a longer spacer tube for the lift bar. I still have to get a longer belt, but it goes up and down really easy, and everything lines up!

Late last week I was a little bored, so I removed the entire clevis hitch set-up, and installed the underseat tool box/flip fender set-up from the 75 C160. Coming soon to an auction site near you..... a complete kit to convert your underseat tool box to a clevis hitch !

I'll get some pics posted tomorrow or Wednesday.

Eldon.... with WH tractors spanning 4 decades

T-Mo

I can relate to having some free daylight hours - things start to spin in my head and I start to find something to do, and some things that I shouldn't even think about doing. So I guess the C-160 will get a reprieve.....

nylyon

That sounds like the right choice to me even if it will require a little "adjusting" to get it to fit right. Can't beat the Hydro for making light work out of the heavy blower. I got a blower from Mike back in July, and haven't tried it yet on the 414-8 with manual lift, but it is a lot heaver than the plow and after a while manually lifting gets old. I put that blower on the 416 and it lifts just as easily as the mower deck does: :D

Also, glad that you're thinking of keeping the C-160, they're classics!

kj4kicks

The more I think about it, the more I like the plan of keeping the 160 for weekly mowing duty also. The 1077 would be an easy restoration, and I may just retire it to show duty. The fender pan would need repainted, because someone used a spray bomb on one of the corners. The hood buffed up really nice, and still has original paint. All that will be for another thread.....

Also, I'm going to the "barn" of the local dealership owner's house tomorrow night, in search of a junk hood with louvers for the C520. This ought to be a treat! Getting to know them on a first name basis may just pay off.

Eldon.... daydreaming again....

nylyon

I wonder if that big ole 60" mower would fit under the C-160? Shortly after I got the 120, I took the 42" SD deck off the 414 and put it on the c120. That automatic directional control lever is in the perfect spot for mowing, it makes it so easy. The only thing that I am not used to anymore is the lack of a real brake. Like the 160, the 120 doesn't have a brake, but relies solely on the hydro to stop and maintain the angle. While I was mowing, I forgot about this a couple of times, but when you roll, you remember right quick.

That's probably another reason why the 520 is better with the FEL..... you can stop!!!!

Curmudgeon

It'll fit, IF you put a forward swept axle from a 520 on the C-160.

Dale, in Michigan

Rollerman

It wil also fit if you use the 6" front tires & taller spindles.

I know of a 416 running that setup with a 60" deck

Stephen in northern IN

kj4kicks

Thanks for the advice and ideas, guys. I really have no need for the 60" deck though, so it will get sold. If anyone is interested in it, I can store it in the trailer until next year's G-Burg meet.

As for the belt, I just need to measure it up. I know it's a very old blower. The number starts with 3-****, and it just looks OLD. It looks like the mounting arms would be much longer than the newer style blowers. Remember, this one was originally mounted in the holes about 3" behind the front of the frame. Just imagine how far it hangs out there now, being mounted to a quick-tach.

Til next time.....

Eldon.

kj4kicks

It just so happens that I scored a 520 front axle and spindles off ebay this week. I tried for the gear reduction steering box and shaft, but they went nuts !

So for now, it will be a snowblower. Come spring, it may get the 60" deck, or maybe just the 48".

In any case, I put the blower on it yesterday to see what I would need. Picked up a new idler bearing/pulley, and a 69" belt today. So tomorrow I will get those on, and then head to the salvage yard. I need to find some 2" square box tubing. I want to build a framework similar to what's under the FEL. It hooks to the mid-mount and the rear axle, to hang the weight box on the back. I bid on a weight box on ebay, but if I don't get it, I'll build one.

Swapped the wheels and turf tires from the donor, so I can put the chains on it. Didn't want to put chains on the ag's.

Now you're up to date on this one, and the 520 is waiting for snow....

Eldon.