Sign in to follow this  
kj4kicks

C-160 update

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, Got the FEL back together tonight. Ran it on the jack stands, and it seems to be ok. Too late to go motoring abound the yard tonight, so I'll give it a run in the morning.

I decided not to install the underseat tool box, because..... I may put a mower deck under it and sell it. If that is the case, the parts tractor will go with it.

I bought a 520H tonight off ebay, so I think the FEL will end up there. Funny how plans get changed....

The 520 is about an hour from here, so I'll probably get it in the next few days. I'll keep you posted on the progress.

Thanks for all the help and support !

Eldon.

T-Mo

Eldon,

Congratulations on the 520H - those are nice tractors. I wouldn't mind finding one - for my price of course. It sounds like a good plan to put the FEL on the 520.

nylyon

As much as I love the C-160's, you're much better off with the 520-H with the FEL. The 520 really has the right parts you need to have for the FEL and I really think you'll be much happier with it too.

Rollerman

Good deal Eldon!....I like both my C160's & my 520H.

If I wasn't so leary about Onan's I'd say the 520's a better tractor hands down.

The 520H is definitely a more "civil" tractor.

Stephen in northern IN

kj4kicks

Thanks for all of your input. No doubt the 520 is longer, wider, and heavier, making it a better loader machine. The only drawback that I see is the "coolness factor" at the shows. I think the C160, being more vintage, would be better received than a 1979 model year FEL on a 520. Of course, since the dual wheel kit is on the way, that would give the 520 a really wide footprint. So that would be cool.

On the other hand, I'd have to repaint the loader. It's WH red, and the 520 is Toro red. Or repaint the tractor. Or not paint either one. Hmmmm. 2-tone......

Now my head hurts... AND my wallet is empty...

Eldon.

Rollerman

Well Eldon think of the "coolness factor" when you have the bucket loaded with something & how much better the 520H's steering will be with the gear reduction.

Your 520H does have the gear reduction steering right.

Also the Eaton hydrostatic drive is far better than a Sundstrand.

Stephen in northern IN...with a non easy steer 520H

nylyon

You're right Eldon, tell ya what I'll do for you. I'll trade you my 416-Hydro for your C-160 and FEL. Then when you get your 520, you'll have a matched set :D

kj4kicks

Hi Guys, Just got home with the 520. "Not well maintained" would be an understatement! BTW, a 60" deck will not fit into a 6' trailer. With the chute and deck clearance, it misses by about 3 inches.

Anyhow, it does run, and I'll tinker with it tomorrow to make the final decision about it's fate. It's a '91, so it does have the gear reduction steering, but the column is very wobbley, so I need to check that out, also.

In any case, I now have a pretty nice 60" deck to sell. It works well. I tried it out before removing it from the tractor.

As for the 160, I ran it for about 2 hours this morning, moving dirt and rocks. No problems at all.

Karl, nice try there, buddy, but I think I'll pass on that deal LOL.

Talk to you all soon....

Eldon.... with flat wallet syndrome

nylyon

So you got the 20 HP Onan, is that a smooth running engine or what. Anyway if it hasn't been maintained, you need to do a couple of things.

1. Change the oil and filters in the engine and transaxle.

2. Remove the center cover and remove all the grass clippings, it will affect the operation of the hydro

3. Check all the spring pins for the steering and trans linkage, mine are always backing out.

4. Clean out the grass clippings from the engine. Heat kills these Onans.

I haven't had any problems with my 416, and I love the Onan engine, it runs so smooth. Congratulations, you now have the best of the 70's and 90's! I think you're going to love the 520

edit:

I mean the roll pins. Check them I have had several back out causing loose steering and loose motion control lever. Just tap them back in and they're good for another year or 2.

Rollerman

Flat wallet syndrome? :( ...must carry plastic not paper :P

Hmm 60" deck would look good on the 520?..LOL

Eldon how many hours are on it & pull the battery-look behind it faceing backside of dash-make sure that collar on the steering shaft is snug keeping the steering shaft from pulling up.

Glad to hear the Sundstrand is up & running again & congrats for tearing into it on your own.

Not sure I would have tried...got to many spares. :D

Stephen in northern IN....garage getting really full tonight

kj4kicks

It's ebay item number: 180157448498 if you want to take a peak. 1841 hours, yeah, that's a lot. I'll check that steering bearing, then run it around some tomorrow, then do all the fluids and filters if I decide it is loader-worthy.

The Sunstrand actually wasn't too tough to rebuild, and only cost about $50 for the parts I needed. Mostly o-rings and gaskets. A $6 retainer and a 50 cent snap ring were the only failed parts. All of the brass looked like new!

The only tricky part was the slipper housing in the motor. It "fell" apart, because that's where the failed parts were, but putting that part back together is no fun. Adapt and overcome!

Back tomorrow with an update....

Eldon.

nylyon

Click free pictures:

5203.jpg

5202.jpg

5201.jpg

I remember seeing this one, what was wrong which kept it from running. From the pictures, it needs a good cleaning, maybe some wax would bring it back? Did you get the hub caps and arm rests for it too?

kj4kicks

No hubcaps or arm rests. Jiggled the transmission control lever a bit, and fired it up while he watched. I'm soooooo bad !

But then when it wouldn't fit in the trailer, he helped me remove the deck. Glad we didn't have to push it !

Tomorrow is bath day as well......

T-Mo

Not bad looking - though it needs a cleaning. Man, that deck looks big!

kj4kicks

I spent most of the day going over the 520. It will soon be loader-worthy! A bunch of minor adjustments, bolt tightening, and a trip to the dealer. The steering column bushing is a whole 92 cents, but they don't stock it :D Bought new filters and a belt and idler pulley (pulley not in stock either!). Got the hydro serviced today.

Also degreased the whole thing, and gave it a bath. The whole underside was a greasy grassy mess. Didn't clean up too bad.

Measured all the bolt holes, and the FEL will fit right on there. I'll have to fabricate one small bracket for the FEL hyd pump on the Onan, but nothing major. One hole will line up, the other one won't.

I have to go to my store tomorrow, but tomorrow night I'll do the engine oil change, and maybe install the new rear tires. I need to order a new set of fronts, because they are 2 ply, and 2 different sizes.

That's all for now.... I'll keep you up to date, and maybe get some pics tomorrow.

Eldon.

T-Mo

Sounds like everything is coming along nicely. Don't you hate it when the dealer only has a partial of what you need? :D I can't wait for the "after" pictures.

nylyon

That's good to hear. Won't the 4-ply's that you have mount right up the the 520, I would think that they would be the same size. Also, I have a brochure from 1993 which has the 520-H in there. I'll scan those pages for you and send them. Not a lot of technical inforamtion, but fun to see none the less.

Curmudgeon

Judging by that rearward facing worklight, whoever had it before must have done some serious nighttime field work with it! I've added lights to see where I was going, but not to see where I've been since I was on the farm and needed to see the implement behind me. LOL

Dale

kj4kicks

Don't you hate it when the dealer only has a partial of what you need? :D

I especially hate it when it's a less-than-a-dollar part !

Karl, the tires on the 520 are an inch wider than on the 160, but a good thought.

Dale, the light may have to go away, but you are right about the rear implement. There are still some quick-tach type brackets on the rear axle housings. All of that will be coming off, as well as all of the other tach-a-matic stuff. Once it's a FEL machine, it will never be anything else, so off with the un-needed stuff.

Eldon.... with 520 fever

nylyon

Yup, I see that now the 520 is supposed to have 16x7.50's front and 23x10.50's rear. The front rim is the same size for both tires though but the 7.50's have a 90# increase in load capacity.

Wishing I had bought the 520 when I bought the 416 now.....

nylyon

Here is the pages from the 1993 brochure. *** Dialup Warning ***

Page 1

Page 2

Page 2 shows a FEL with dual rear wheels if you want to get a glimps of what it'll look like

nylyon

You know what I was thinking? Keep the frame and Hood stand from the 520, and see if you can adapt the C-160 hood and fenders and seat to the 520. This way you'll have a C-520 with the loader! It would probably take a lot of fabrication, but I'll bet it would look pretty good when completed and you would have the C-Series look for the shows.

kj4kicks

It would probably take a lot of fabrication, but I'll bet it would look pretty good when completed and you would have the C-Series look for the shows.

OK, I like to fabricate. I'm going home now to take some measurements.... and some pics.....

Eldon.

kj4kicks

Here's the progress report for today:

Did the oil change, and put on the new back tires (front tires are on order).

Took some pictures.

Buffed the hood and fender pan (actually looks pretty good).

Took some pictures.

Did some measuring, and did a mock-up with the C160 hood on it. If I jack up the front of the hood about an inch, and cut a notch in the back, it will fit. Now to make the headlights fit in there...

Took some pictures.

Measured the rear fender pan. I think that will fit, also.

Don't be scared, the good 160 is still intact. I'll use the parts from the donor tractor.

Guess what I'll be doing tomorrow..... and then taking some pictures....

Eldon.

nylyon

Dying to see it!