Sign in to follow this  
Prater

Heavier Clutch Spring

Prater

I was working on Dads C-111 tiller Saturday, he has a squeeling drive belt. The clutch has very little play and the spring was not holding tight enough. I went to Ace and picked up a stouter spring but it made me curious what non oem springs can be used to keep that clutch tight, maybe something the pullers use?

I also put on a tighter spring for the mid idler of the tiller and made a spacer for the idler pulley to keep that 138" belt centered.

tgranthamfd

Steven, the new OEM clutch springs have worked well for us and I don't think they are to expensive. Does the mid mount not have any side to side play? That should make it, kind of, self aligning. Is the 138" belt working better for him? Catch ya later.

Prater

Not much side play, but the belt was walking the edge of the idler, I just cut a 1/2 inch spacer and when engaged it runs centered. The 138 belt works great, just takes two of us to get it on the tractor.

catman81056

My 1267 got to the point that I had to "toe" the clutch pedal to get it going. I bought a new spring of about the same size from Rural King, it helped. I had a new OEM belt so I changed it out. It was alittle bit better. I noticed that the clutch pully/shaft had quite abit of back and forth slop, so I drilled out the holes and welded some bushings in, I can't believe how much better it is.

Sorry about the ramble, but what I thought was a spring problem was actually a combination of stuff. Might be some thing you want to check on :D

Prater

Tim, I adjusted the clutch rod. The problem wa definately the spring. I could easily move the clutch idler by hand working under the tractor. Just not enough pressure to keep the belt from squeeling.