Sign in to follow this  
Horse'n Around

Voltage regulator ground question

Horse'n Around

I have a question about the voltage regulator on a 702. Does the voltage regulator need to be grounded to the starter/generator?I have a feeling it is because there is a ground wire from the underside of the regulator riveted to the mounting bracket. Im only asking this because I do not have a regulator that has the type of mounting bracket that mounts it directly to the starter. The tractor I got the reg off of had it mounted to the steering tower if I remember correctly, it was a few years ago that I bought it whehn I lived in PA. I removed the old brackets from it and I made my own bracket that is as close to the origional bracket as I can get without having one in my hand to copy so that I can mount it to the starter. I painted the bracket so that it wont rust or corrode.My concern is that the starter is not drilled and tapped for the regulator so Im going to secure it with a large hose clamp. Assuming it does ground by the mounting bracket, Im not sure that a hose clamp will hold it tight enough to ground it securely enough , I can always strip the paint off the underside of the regulator bracket to bare metal and put a thin coat of dielectric grease for good contact and corrosion resistance. Eventually Im going to disassemble the starter and replace the bearings and brushes and at that time I will drill it and tap it in the proper place so that when I do get the right regulator it will mount correctly.I dont want to try doing it without disassembling it because Im sure the windings will get damaged while drilling and taping the holes Untill then Im going to use the hose clamp and keep it nice and hidden as best I can. I could always run a temproary ground strap from the reg to the block untill I can drill and tap the starter. Back to my question now that I have written a novel describing that I did and why. Does the regulator need to be grounded to the starter?

I sure could use your guidance on this, Sorry for the long winded post, I just didnt want to leave out any needed info.

Thanks, John

Save Old Iron

John,

your right on the money with your thinking.

The bracket / foot / case of the regulator needs to be grounded or physically connected in some fashion to the battery negative terminal.

Whether this ground connection is established thru the starter case or by wire from the regulator case to the tractor frame , engine case or directly back to the battery negative terminal makes no difference.

:D

Horse'n Around

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for your help, I appreciate it a lot! Im really looking forward to getting this last detail done.The "wiring harness" that was on it when I got it left a lot to be desired so I rewired it from the schematic,this is the final piece to complete the electrical system. It will be nice to be able to use the key to start it instead of running a hot wire to the coil to run it :USA: I'll be crossing my fingers that the generator portion of the starter /generator system works.

BTW is it bad luck to cross all of my fingers at once or should I stick to just crossing two? I sure dont want to jinx myself ! Well I'll see tomorrow when I look at the amp guage :D

John

The Toolman

Does that regulator hafta be polarized also?

Horse'n Around

Thats a good question... I got it used off a tractor.I hadnt thought about that. :D

John

Save Old Iron

The regulator itself is nothing more than a few relays mounted in a metal box.

Nothing in the regulator assembly would need to be polarized. Possibly in the S/G unit - so I have heard, Possibly.

My hands on expertise ends at the S/G. I just recently (last week) purchased my first S/G equipped tractor just to get some experience with the "older stuff". All I own is C series and above.

One thing I might suggest is starting the tractor with a fully charged battery,

This will limit the function of the regulator to just controlling over voltage and not having to worry about the over current function of the regulator. If there is something wrong with the regulator, at least the S/G unit won't be overheated and possibly damaged.

:D

Save Old Iron

The "wiring harness" that was on it when I got it left a lot to be desired so I rewired it from the schematic,this is the final piece to complete the electrical system.

John,

The schematic was lacking the "ground wire" connection because it assumes your regulator will be physically mounted as the manufactuer had intended. The physical mounting to the S/G case would provide the regulator case with its ground.

The intent is to have the regulator case at the same voltage potential as the battery negative terminal - which is ground.

Horse'n Around

The "wiring harness" that was on it when I got it left a lot to be desired so I rewired it from the schematic,this is the final piece to complete the electrical system.

John,

The schematic was lacking the "ground wire" connection because it assumes your regulator will be physically mounted as the manufactuer had intended. The physical mounting to the S/G case would provide the regulator case with its ground.

The intent is to have the regulator case at the same voltage potential as the battery negative terminal - which is ground.

Hi Chuck,

Thank you for the clarification,I figured that the ground for the regulator (if the regulator required one) would be achieved where it physicly bolts to the S/G. What I ment by my comment regarding me rewiring the whole thing using the schematic as a map for me to make the new harness is that the old harness was in really ratty shape, lots of twisted connections(some were even taped with masking tape by the PO) I have never seen such a confusing rats nest of wires in my life, well at least not on anything with such a simple and basic harness so I decided to remove it all and start fresh, that way I know the wiring will ne good and also by wiring it I will understand how the electrical system works better. I really should have taken some pictures of it, it would have been good for a laugh and a lesson for thosee who are planning to work on their wiring of what not to do. I am just looking forward to enjoying the "fruits of my labor" and seeing everything work as it should. In my case since I do not have the required holes in my S/G to mount the reg the way it was origionally.Thanks to you Im now sure that the regulator does need grounding so Ive decided to run a ground strap from the reg to a good ground location. I just dont think the hose clamp that Im going to use to temporarily mount the regulator to the S/G (untill I can drill and tap the S/G case) will provide a good and consistant ground. I have know that the starter circuit of the S/G works good, it spins the engine over easily,now I am hoping that the charging circuit is good also. I am going to take your advise and make sure the battery is fully charged when I get it all hooked up and start it to be safe.

Thank you again for all your help,I really appreciate it. Your a life saver! :D

John