Sign in to follow this  
Moparfanforever

Another Tractor ID Help

Moparfanforever

Bought this from a forum member and hope someone can tell me what it is. I am thinking about a mild custom , but do not want to mess up a good thing.

Is the trans in this hard to take apart/maybe rebuild ?? Shifter will not go into 2/3 and when in neutral , still rolls like maybe it is in gear. Rolls hard in neautral

Tag by the shifter handle reads - C7-0

Tag on engine -

K 90

Serial - 259192

spec - 2749 A

Also has valve clearance , what grade of oil for summer/winter

Thanks !!! Darrell

WHEELHORSE001.jpg

WHEELHORSE002.jpg

WHEELHORSE003.jpg

WHEELHORSE004.jpg

001.jpg

TT

There's a very strong 1960 400 Surburban presence mixed with a touch of RJ-58/59.

Can you post a picture of the front of the tractor?

VinsRJ

Agree, you got a little of both mixed in there (RJ/Suburban). It could be a late production RJ59 with the cast front axel and the open style hood stand. But the only way to know for sure is if the Serial Tag was still on the frame.

Moparfanforever

No tag on the frame unfortunately. I will probably try to get the motor to run and sand and paint.

The motor does have very good compression , so hoping for the best !!

Can anybody tell me about the transmission ?? Won't go into 2/3 and rolls REAL hard in neutral.

Are these easily taken apart and fixed ?? Parts a problem to get ??

Thanks Again ,

Darrell

puddlejumper

Excuse me moparfan for butting in but Iwould like for TT or Vin to elaborate a little on what parts are suburban and which are RJ. My very limited expierience says suburan frame with RJ hood but I would like some details from the experts if they dont mind. :D

linen beige

I see an RJ hood stand and hood, a non wheel Horse K-90, and a 400 chassis, including the 5010 transmission.

At least they cut the steering shaft to change out hoods, instead of cutting the hood.

horsefeathers

Moparfan, I'am a Mopar man myself, I was Mopar when Mopar was'nt cool! 33 odd years now! I have a 60 suburban and yours looks the same except the hood RJ I'd guess, mine has the k91 engine that would be correct for a 60. How's yer fabrocating skills, looks like a rat rod, dragster project to me! Whatta'ya say you wanta' play? Anyone aginst addin' this one to the Hot Rod class? :D Ya'll know I can't resist! :USA: HORSEFEATHERS! PS where ya' from, and what ya' got thats Mopar?

tgranthamfd

No tag on the frame unfortunately. I will probably try to get the motor to run and sand and paint.

The motor does have very good compression , so hoping for the best !!

Can anybody tell me about the transmission ?? Won't go into 2/3 and rolls REAL hard in neutral.

Are these easily taken apart and fixed ?? Parts a problem to get ??

Thanks Again ,

Darrell

Not sure unless it has no oil in it. Not a hard tranny to work on if you pay attention how it came apart and follow the manuals instructions. some parts are not to hard to find, but if it needs gears or axles they will be hard to find. seals, not to bad, gaskets, not to bad, bearings, a little harder to find, and gears next to impossible.

CasualObserver

Puddlejumper.... Jim gave you a short version... I'll add a little detail.

the tractor you see above has a 1960 Clutch pedal (bent strap steel instead of the flat welded stock of the RJ)

The lift sector and handle and diamond plate foot rests are the 1960 versions

The trans side plates have the two holes in the top at the rear for mounting the AH-60 (Auxiliary Hitch) which was a Y-shaped tow hitch that was necessary since the 1960 mower deck lift mechanism used an insert in the slot hitch.

The cast front axle and frame are Suburban, but the hood stand is open which was the RJ style. (The suburban one was a firewall like full sheet of steel with holes for the fuel line and steering column)

The hood is RJ - no contour lines which were added in 1960 for increased hood support so the fuel tank wouldn't cave them in as easily.

Those are just the things I see. It's a medley R-Juburban for sure. Purely speculation, but since the majority of the rolling chassis is Suburban and just the hood and hood stand are RJ, my guess is that the original Suburban probably rolled over or had something fall on it that damaged the hood and hoodstand, and it was given a replacement from an RJ. Either that, or someone scrapped together what pieces they could find to make it work.

puddlejumper

:D I appreciate the info. Lots of info to try to soak up on here.