Sign in to follow this  
yankee495

K341S: Slight Knock?

yankee495

Yesterday I bought as C-160 and it purred like a kitten. Today it seems to have a slight knock. As they say, if you listen for one you'll hear one.

I checked the oil and it was low, but above add. It is hardly dirty. I topped it off and still I think I hear a knock. At higher RPM you can't hear it....exaust is too loud (normal motor sound).

All advice is welcome. I found a rebuild kit for a K341 (not listed as "S" version). Is this the same kit?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...4=263602_263622

Also it says:

yankee495

Well guys I think I screwed it up. It was a bit low on oil...just above add and I was getting ready to go to the store (for oil).

I deceided to mow the side yard...real small (3 circles) with a small hill. Well it is too steep to drive on sideways so I drive up...back down it...drive up...back down it...etc.

The manual says on a 30* slope MAKE SURE OIL IS FULL! The hill is 15 feet...level at the bottom and there is about 8 feet up hill. You have to hit it about 10 times.

Up...then back down...drive up...then back down...it only takes a few seconds to hit the top and 10 seconds after that you are at the bottom on level gound.

I had it at half throttle or so and this all took like 6 minutes.

Do you think this could have caused it? I've read it could be timing but I'm here to tell you I don't think so...smokes a little too...didn't yesterday at all...or this morning till I mowed that hill...

Ever feel like giving yourself a swift kick in the, well, where your head was?

I never even thought of this and my 8 4 speed doesn't use oil...you just don't have to worry about it...I almost don't check it because it is never low not even at change time!

rickv1957

A good tune up wouldnt hurt as you could have a timing knock,or a slight knock could be just piston rattle that is normal wear after many years,Rick

yankee495

Hey Rick, I almost PM'd you. I took the plug out and when you rock the crank back and forth there is a knock inside the block. Was not there yesterday. It didn't idle so I fixed that and it had no sound like this.

But, the guy I bought it from got it out of a barn and mowed half a yard before I got it...I'll try some stuff but I know it is a knock from inside.

But then again...you guys are the experts!

Kelly

I've fixed a rod knox that's what the guy told me it was, and could have been, but I adjusted the valves and no more knox, they almost never get adjusted, just like cleaning the carbon off the head and piston even few hundred hours almost never gets done.

rmaynard

I've fixed a rod knox that's what the guy told me it was, and could have been, but I adjusted the valves and no more knox, they almost never get adjusted, just like cleaning the carbon off the head and piston even few hundred hours almost never gets done.

Kelly,

How difficult is it to adjust the valves on a K-series engine? I've got carburetor problems on my K241AS that a carb kit did not fix, and I have a slight knock and backfire, and a rattle (which sound like valves). Before I do much more with the carb, I want to rule out valve adjustment.

Bob