Sign in to follow this  
Polaris2007

What The Heck Is THIS Engine????

Polaris2007

Hi Everyone. It's been a while since I have posted. The 607 restoration has kind of stalled while I work on getting the garden in. I saw this engine sitting in a guy's driveway and had to have it. After a minute of bartering, and three pulled backs later, it was in the back of my truck. There is no name plate on the engine. The thing is HUGE! It TOTALLY DWARFS a K-321. It says "Fairbanks-Morse" on the magneto, but I think they just made the magneto, but not sure. It has a crank that engages the flywheel side of the crank to start it. Can any of you old timers tell me what this thing might be?? :D Pics to follow....

Attached Image (Click thumbnail to expand)

post-61-1273622600.jpg

Polaris2007

another shot...

Attached Image

post-61-1273622654.jpg

Polaris2007

and another.....

Attached Image

post-61-1273622710.jpg

Polaris2007

and finally....

Attached Image

post-61-1273622762.jpg

qd-16

Wisconsin??? :D

Shuboxlover

I know what you mean, a guy in my area just last week had a 35hp V-4 Wisconsin for sale for $100, wish I would have looked at it :D:USA::wh: They are cool looking and HUGE!!!!!!!!!

Polaris2007

Wow, only 9 hp? This thing is HUGE!! It looks like it might be 20hp or more by todays standards.

rickv1957

I looked at a 6hp and it was also large!,Rick

WH nut

I agree, Wisconson

Audioshot

That is a monster! I just got a flashback from the movie Titanic during the scene with the reciprocating engines. :D

Docwheelhorse

It might only be 9 hp... but I bet its 30000000000000 Ft Lbs of Torque with that long of a stroke!! :D

Tony

VinsRJ

And with that long stroke it doesn't spin to 6500 rpm. :D

buckeye

Those wisconsin's are good motors. If you think that is big, you should see a 16hp. It takes two men and a boy to pick them up. :D

MRM

Yup Wisconson prob a M# AEH my Gibson has one just like it. Its only 9HP

Polaris2007

Hmmm. Only 9hp? I bet if i bolted that baby onto my 607, I could dominate the 10hp and under garden tractor pulling class. With all that torque, I could put it in high gear and let it chug on down the track!

Duff

Hmmm. Only 9hp? I bet if i bolted that baby onto my 607, I could dominate the 10hp and under garden tractor pulling class. With all that torque, I could put it in high gear and let it chug on down the track!

...and if I'm reading everything here right, you wouldn't need to weight the front end! :D

Duff :USA:

TheUnknownCat

Yep, ya got yourself a Wisconsin. I was actually coming in to see if there was a resident expert that could help with one that I just picked up.

I've been studying these things for the last few days, to try and learn more about mine, because all of the information on these engines is located at the front top of the shroud, right there on mine right under that nice, thick, coat of industrial epoxy over a sticker outline -it ain't coming off without the sticker. I'm pretty sure mine is an AELN, a 9hp motor. Yours looks like an older vintage.

engine2.jpg

Mine came on a nice service truck compressor, which had been taken out of service when they upgraded. It's 1974 vintage, according to the date on the Kargard tank:

Compressor2.jpg

The compressor ran fine when they took it out of service, so someone robbed the carb (a Zenith,) and the magneto, to put on other equipment.

backsideofengine2.jpg

I was hoping to discuss magneto interchangability between models, because it looks like the right one is high-dollar. I may be able to justify the expense though -since this was a craigslist find at twenty bucks. :D

One way or another, I'm pretty sure it'll work out. I'd be glad to share what I've learned, if you'd like to continue on the subject.

engineandcompressor.jpg