Sign in to follow this  
marvairplanes

NO Spark on K301S

marvairplanes

KohlerK301SE0014969002.jpg

I have a 1970 Raider 12 with a Kohler K301S (E0014969) engine.

It has a new ignition switch, solenoid, starter and battery.

But...no spark !

I'm assuming (speculation) that the problem is with the coil and/or the ignition trigger...the little black thing just to the lower right of the coil in the above photo, just about touching the flywheel, but don't know how to "test" either of them.

ADVICE ????

Should I buy a new one on e-bay for $120 ?

I can have the original electronic starting system converted over to battery ignition system for about the same price.

Has anyone done this conversion? and if so, what are the advantages and how difficult is it?

Thanks,

Marv

(NW Oh)

pfrederi

There are 3 key elements your system. the stator (you have a two part stator one charges the battery and one fires the ignition...either part may fail independent of the other), the trigger and the coil.

You need to download the K Series single cylinder Service manual from Kohler. Starting on page 8.4 is a description of how to test the various parts of your system.

oldandred

hummmmmmmmm while its down I would clean out around the head looks to me to be a lot of trash in there

and if you dont find the parts you can always convert it over to pionts and coil

rickv1957

Easy swap to points but the eletronic ignition gave 40 years of no maint!,Rick

Irv

I had the same problem with a K301 out of a 70 electro. It was the trigger switch. Also, be sure the wire coming from the ignition switch to the coil isn't grounded unless the key is off.