Sign in to follow this  
jdwheelhorse

8-speed fit B80?

jdwheelhorse

I want an 8 speed tranny to use for plowing in the winter mainly because of the Hi/Lo feature, but will it fit a 4 speed B80, in relevance to belt length and brake band matchups. ?

KB9LOR

If I remember a post from awhile back I believe it is a easy swap, I can't think of any reason why it would not bolt right up. Good luck!

jdwheelhorse

ok, thank you...if the shifters move is that the main thing i should be concerned with before i buy one? i dont want to split the case if i dont have to.

KB9LOR

ok, thank you...if the shifters move is that the main thing i should be concerned with before i buy one? i dont want to split the case if i dont have to.

I would say yes, when I got mine I checked it to see if it would move, but the friend I got it from said it was a good tranny also. Check for oil seal leakage also, where the axle meets the case, and for slop in the rear hubs.

jdwheelhorse

ok well the one im looking at has been sitting outside for a while seperated from the tractor...so im hoping the interior isnt rusted out. ill go look at it and hopefully will purchase it.

Docwheelhorse

8 Speed is not a direct bolt in... the brake drum is located in a slightly different spot... Also---there is no real use for lo range when plowing snow, snowblowing yes... but plowing snow you need some speed on your side to push the snow. Not neccesarily a ton of torque.

Tony

jdwheelhorse

how would one go about "fixing" the brake band issue?

jdwheelhorse

and other than the brake drum being diff. do the bolt holes match up?

TT

The B-80 4 speeds use the 5084 Uni-Drive with the brake drum mounted to the countershaft - just like the "newer" 6/8 speeds. (1970 & up)

As long as you don't try to install a 5060 6 speed - which had the brake drum mounted to the reduction (pinion) shaft just like the early 3 speeds - it should be a very easy swap.