Sign in to follow this  
puddlejumper

interchangeability

puddlejumper

Question for the gurus.

I have a early 70s k181 with electric starter that was on atrashed commando 8 that I aquired a few years ago. Even though this engine ran fairly well in memory. (does have electrical issues had to jump wire from battery to coil to make run). I believe the k161T that came on the 552 I picked up yesterday is more sound.

So will the blower housing, flywheel and starter swap from the k181 to the 161 without any timing, balancing, issues or will it simply not fit.

If it will it should allow me to put the electric start back on the 552. Making it a much nicer tractor.

Thanks in advance for any help.

TT

Every part you need to swap from the 181 to the 161 is 100% bolt-on and interchangeable.

Unfortunately, you will also have to change the bearing plate ("behind" the flywheel) to allow the use of the stator. (to charge the battery)

It's not hard to change the bearing plate, but you do have to make sure the crankshaft end play is within specs. (all info is in the Kohler service manual)

puddlejumper

TT Thanks for the info. I was sure this would be the case. But i am learning its easier to ask on here. BEFORE getting elbow deep into uncertainty. Although I think we are all more prone to it than any of us would like to admit. :D