Sign in to follow this  
papaglide

onan muffler

papaglide

Are there any CHEAPER than OEM mufflers available for the Onan one on a 520?

Or the other idea is this: is there any way to plug up 3 small holes on the muffler?

thanks

Raider12

Well..... I don't know of any aftermarket mufflers available for the 520. I do know I see a lot of them on ebay used. And a lot of them are in good shape to. As far as fixing your old muffler, you might be able to braze the holes. Electric welder might burn through the already thin metal. You might can try a mig welder if you have some experence at it.

rickv1957

A good used muffler would be the best fix!,Rick

Horse Fanatic

Yes, used. They are on ebay regularly.

Cody

I have fixed my 414-8 and my 312-8 mufflers just with my mig welder, on the one I turned the heat down on the welder and plugged the holes then ground the weld down smooth. The second one I took a peice of sheet metal and welded it over the hole it had. Both ways worked well and quieted the mufflers down alot, while saving some money too.

papaglide

I don't have access to a welder but...and don't laugh, would JB Weld work? The package stated that it is good for temps up to 600 degrees. The holes in question are roughly 1/8 to 3/16 big and there are only 4 of them.

Fiddlestix

If the holes are in a close proximity of each other you can use a "furnace cement" or some type of refractory cement. Check the box stores, it is used for packing chimneys and stacks etc.

This will not stay on there by itself rather, use a beer can shim over it and hold this on with sidewinder clamps. The cement then becomes a gasket. Sounds hokey but it do work.

If the holes are that small and the material sound around it, use a sheetmetal screw with a washer under head... don't know how many steel tank sprayers I've "fixed" using sheetmetal screws! :D You can also used large closed end POP rivets...let the naysayers laff... it does work if the material is otherwise sound.