Sign in to follow this  
neil

Help on transmision for commando 8

neil

Hi Can anyone help ,

i am restoring my commando 8 & whilst taking off wheels to renew oil seals i noticed that there was some play in back axle ,what i need to know is ,is this normal or do i need to renew transmission or can it easily be fixed.

Failing that would i be able to fit a c series transmission to tractor without too much modification apart from adding a hole on tunnel for low ratio gear lever. I live in uk And parts here are rarer than wheelhorse S@*t.

so if you could throw some light on this id be grateful. The tractor in question is the one in front of my gt 14 in my avatar.

jpmcleod

Neil. I'm sure a lot of experts will give you some better advice than I can but If it isn't leaking, I would not worry about it. All mine have a little slop in the axels. Comes with age.

Raider12

Neil, if your refering to the axle moving in & out "play. This normal on just about any of these tractors. Just as long as it does not slide all the way out of course. There is a snap ring on the inside that keeps the axle from sliding out.

sorekiwi

As "Raider12" stated, a little bit of in and out play is normal. There should be about 3/16" or so.

If you are talking about up and down play at the outer end of the axle, there is a needle roller bearing just behind the seal. Normally there should be only a tiny amount of clearance there. Its a normal Torrington bearing that is probably available over there from a bearing house. You would have to split the case to replace it though.

rmaynard

What has been previously said, in and out is normal, up and down is bad. If the axle turns freely, and there is no oil leaking from the seals, you are probably okay.

Bob

neil

Thanx for all you help guys.

there is oil leaking from seals on both axles & there is no up or down play in axles just in & out.

I have just removed hubs so now would be a good time to replace sealsif this would cure the leaks i can live with the play in axles.

sorekiwi

Once the hubs are off, the rest is relatively easy!!

neil

by putting on new seals will this cure my problem with leaking oil even though there is play in axles

JimD

Yes it will. :D And.... :USA:

rickv1957

Hello and :D Rick