Sign in to follow this  
stoneman

muffler

stoneman

The muffler on my C-81 is rattling at mowing rpm. it's not the inside. if i throttle up to mowing rpm, it starts rattling. i put the heel of my boot to it, and i stops. i made sure the mounts were tight and they are, including the lower frame strap. i'll spray some penetrating oil on that lower mount and see if that help. any tips? i'm open to replacing the stock muffler although it seems to be fine. i wouldn't mind putting a short stack or something like that on for a good look. thanks

Kelly

Make sure the clamp/U Bolt is tight, I was just messing with my C-81 last night and noticed that the lower strap mount was broke right at the bolt, bolt is still tight, and the muffler feels solid but when running it kinda squeak's.

stoneman

ah hah. after further inspection, the lower strap bracket has broken. completely separated from the muffler, about 1.5 square. should be able to weld it :D

any recommendations on applying that weld? thanks

rickv1957

A mig will do a fine job on the weld!,Rick

stoneman

took it to wild bill the groovy welder . . . he used a mig w/stainless. put er on and no more rattle. i don't like rattles. :D