Sign in to follow this  
Shuboxlover

C-195 question

Shuboxlover

Just reading the post on the sale of a C-195, so I went to look at pics in the gallery....

What are the two levers to the left of the seat that come up through the fender???? :D

gattonde

The levers to the left of the seat are hydraulic controls for deck lift and rear three point lift. I didn't notice a three point lift on this tractor, so it must have been removed.

rickv1957

The 3 pt was an option on the C195 but all had the 2 levers,Rick

C-Series14

To help identify what year it is, 1982 had the levers down between your legs towards the left and 1984 they were up on the left side of the fender.

Shuboxlover

Are these things hard to find.....I don't seem to see too any of them out there, or do people just not get rid of them...

Seems like something I might be interested in obtaining :D

wh500special

Are these things hard to find.....I don't seem to see too any of them out there, or do people just not get rid of them...

Seems like something I might be interested in obtaining :D

Shameless plug

They aren't usually very easy to find and I suspect there would probably be a dearth of them in Husker country. I don't remember the production numbers, but I thought it was quite low...like in the 500 range.

Steve

EDIT: Look HERE

Shuboxlover

I'M IN LOVE!!!!!!!!!

You know Steve,........we're taking a family Va-Ca to STL in July.......you won't be too far away :D But then I'd have to bring the Jeep and trailer instead of the Altima, there goes the gas mileage :D:USA::wh:

BOY I REALLY LIKE THOSE THINGS THOUGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

6 bolt rims...ARE YOU KIDDING ME!!!!!!!! :ychain::wwp: :thanks:

wh500special

:USA: Meet me in St. Louie, Louie... :wh:

Just beware, there are a lot of Mizzou fans around here who aren't too keen on Herbie.

Look me up if you have some freetime when you're here. I'll give you the cook's tour of my junkpile! So far only had some tire kickers so I'll probably still have all 3 of my Supers here.

St. Louis is a nice place to visit. Except the weather in July is usually horrendously oppressive. There are some neat things like the Magic House Children's Museum, St. Louis Zoo,AB brewery tour, Ulysses Grant's Farm, and Cahokia Mounds. Everything is reasonably priced, and many of the museums, tours, and exhibits are FREE admission.

Take the family to Ted Drew's for ice cream. Be sure to eat some toasted raviolis and bbq'd pork steaks. And everybody knows about the Arch: Jefferson Expansion Memorial. Lewis and Clark also started on their expedition here before heading your way.

If you come up to Alton, IL where my tractors are living you can stop and see the Robert Wadlow monument. He was the tallest man in recorded history and was something like 8'11" tall when he died. There is a life-sized statue of the man and it is humbling to stand next to. Even have a civil war site in Alton. And the world's biggest ketchup bottle in Collinsville...

And who can forget that T-MO is a local here too?

I digress...:D

C-195's are neat machines. Too bad they didn't catch on as well as the larger tractors from Deere and Cadet since they fell in the same Super Garden Tractor class. I'm guessing JD and IH were easier to market to owners of large property since they were already familiar with their full-sized offerings.

Essentially, they took the rear end from the D-auto series and added the Eaton pump and married it to the C-series. Gave it big tires, extra ground clearance, and dual hydraulics and made it capable of hanging a 60" belly deck, a 50" tiller, and a 56" snowplow. Aside from the KT engine and the stupid plastic rear fender, the tractor was pretty bulletproof and quite versatile. And the long wheelbase makes it ride and drive really nice.

The optional rear PTO was a bit of a Rube Goldberg, but it must have worked well enough because Mike has been running his with a 60" woods/wheel horse 3pt mower for a while and I've never heard any complaints.

It, and the D250, were Wheel Horse's Edsels. Ahead of their time and quite sophisticated. But were, essentially, flops.

Steve

C-Series14

To add to what Steve said, I do use the rear finish mower with the C-195 but have not used it much since I restored the tractor! What I found with the rear mower is if it had front swivel wheels like some of the newer rear finish mowers, it would be much better! As it is now, it is more like a Bush Hog!!! It does mow nice, I have Gator Blades on it, it doesn't "stripe" like my 48" deck but it does mow alot of grass quick!!!

baerpath

I would rather use one of the 195's any day over a D 160/200. Their just easy to use. And if Steve delivered I might have more than 3 of them :D:USA:

Duane