Sign in to follow this  
mavfreak

my job went by by

Mrs. Ed

Getting laid-off bites. I was laid-off at a biotech company back in 2001, 6-months later the whole company went bankrupt.

Hey, I'm always looking to have stuff welded (I MIG weld but if it needs to be of good quality, I just tack it together and take to the weld shop). If you have your own setup, just make some flyers and post around. You would be amazed at the number of people that need a iron fence, gate, lawn mower handle, ect. repaired (welded) and with small jobs like this, cash on delivery and it won't effect any options you might have like free schooling ... because you will be unemployed (unemployed just like these guys I see with the trailers full of lawn mowing equipment that do about 20 yards a day; yeah, unemployed just like that <_< ). Good luck.

mavfreak

Mr ed I do some welding but never broke down and bought a mig yet. I do have a "Buzz" box that I weld with. Maybe some day soon a mig will come. You can weld alot more than what you think if you know what your dooing.

jlangdon-I have been home with my 18 mouth daughter from jan till middle of may. Loved every second of it.

This may sound strang but I have kinda wanted to be an EMT. I was thinking of maybe going in that dirrection. I contacted a local ambuilince service to see if I could do a ride along. We'll see

I also found that sears is looking to hire some on the road repair people for warnty and stuff like that. May be cool

Yes there is opptions Just need to be positive enough and eyes open enough to see them

Duff

This may sound strange but I have kinda wanted to be an EMT.

Nothing strange at all about Emergency Services - this world can always use more good people! And it's a great way to know hands-on that you do make a difference!

Good luck if that's the route you go!

Duff :D

bustedglass

Hey mav,

Hang in there buddy. Something will come along. May not be in your field, but you have to be willing to be flexible :USA: . The last 4 yrs. that I worked for Caterpillar, I was laid off a total of 3 yrs. . Off for 6 months, back for 3, then off again :wh: . Really sucked. But I found something that I loved in a different field, and spent the next 20+ years, untill I retired.

My thoughts and prayers are with you buddy. Just gotta be strong :D .

hoppy

you could always deliver pizzas...................extra anchovies? LOL Ever see the movie.....cant buy me love?

in all seriousness................i have been there. got laid off. i didnt know what i was going to do. took a year off and did this and that. side jobs here and there to make ends meet. been at this job for 7 years now but somehow i still feel like something is missing. not sure what that is as i havent figured it out yet. oh wait i know what it is!!!! the lack of pay! everything will fall into place man. take it one day at a time. you have to put yourself out there though. go getters get jobs. not the people whom sit on there couches whining they dont have jobs. good luck and keep us posted.

Mrs. Ed
Mr ed I do some welding but never broke down and bought a mig yet. I do have a "Buzz" box that I weld with. Maybe some day soon a mig will come.

mavfreak

:D opps sorry

mavfreak

well wendsday will be my final day at work. I pulled out all my tools on friday and got some scrap to bring home for any prodjects I may have. Also found out that it is deffently going to mexico. But really it doesn't matter to me my job is gone no matter what. I have been putting out resumes but haven't heard anything back as of yet. But I'm actualy remaining hopeful.

Operator

Just try and not let you down, been there. Keep smiling! That way they think your up to something :thumbs:

Let us know how it is working out.

Randy

mavfreak

The sad part is the friends I have. I know we'll stay in touch for awhile but that will come to pass. I'll miss some of them the most. I really am hopefull. I feel things happen for a reason this is a new start I just have to keep my mind open and move on. Thanks everyone for your support and thanks for letting me know that others have gone through this and that there is life after.

mavfreak

today was it. They had pizza for us shook everyones hand shead some tears held my head high and walked out the door for the last time. I feel good. Sad but good.

sigh thanks again for everyone who supported me in all this.

so now I'll keep you all posted on when I get a new job sooner rather than later I hope. :thumbs:

Operator

On a monday? What's up with that :D They didn't want to ruin your weekend :thumbs:

First thing get on the unemployment, second thing job networking.

Good luck.

Randy

Daddy Don

Good luck and don't get youself down. Something will come along. :thumbs:

mavfreak

I had spent one month off and got a phone call to come back to help ship out everything to Mexico. Tuesday will be the last day for me. Aguste 31. Its weird there. almost foreign. There is only two of us left. everyone else left. And so far out of all 35 of us no one has found a job yet.

Buzz

And so far out of all 35 of us no one has found a job yet.

Damn............ My only advice is to hang in there, don't let it get you down and don't let it break up your family. Has unemployment offered any sort of training for you guys other than how to write a resume? If they do, jump on it. Something else for your resume. I went through permanent layoffs twice, once when I was 40 and again right after I turned 50. :) Luckily I ended up with a very good job. Here's hoping you do also.

B-8074

I work/worked as a union Ironworker from Local#3 in Pittsburgh. I know that we always need welders and if you have your papers and aren't afraid of heights you should check into that. The money is awsome and benifits are to. If you have any questions shoot me a PM.

mavfreak

the company sent in all the paperwork for the TAA but the government is slow as always. We will get it cause half went to Mexico and half went Canada. thanks to Clinton

horsefeathers

Heath,

That offer is still open, I'd be glad submit your resume'!

At Joy Mining Machinery!! Franklin, Pa.

Been there brother! Had a great job at Chaigo Pneumatic Tool!

Untill they packed up and moved south to a right to work state!

Union bustin' ya' know!! Now they are out of the country, distribution centers only!

CEOs don't care 'bout blue, or white collers! Or the product they make!!!

Just the stock holders thats where the big money is at!!

When I lost my job at CPT I went through a lot of interviews sent out many resume's

Then landed the job at Joy, went from the worst possible situation to the best job

a blue coller, under educated ,white male could get in Venango Co.

Been ther 13 years and lovin' it!

Sometimes change is a good thing! So hang in there brother!

If I can help let me know!!!

:) HORSEFEATHERS!

mavfreak

found out yesterday that we finally were aproved for TRA. Lokks like I'll be going back to school. ? :) should be fun