Sign in to follow this  
Mith

Fresh as a daisy

Mith

I've been clearing up all my stuff as I guess alot of you know. I'm getting right to the back of the workshop now (it took 10 loads to the dump to get that far!)

Finding some real odd stuff that I had forgotten I had.

Anyway, I found a fuel tank full of fuel. Now, judging by where it was, I'd guess its more than a few years old.

This is what the fuel looked like (and its not urine....)

16-03-08_0947.jpg

The smell, well, I had to sit down after having a whiff! I can still smell it in the workshop.

Anyway, I also found an old Honda GX engine off a racing kart. Again, not used for years. These engines seem to run on just about anything, so just for kicks, I dumped the fuel in the tank and pulled the cord. OH YES! She runs. I reckon I could take a leak in the tank of the Honda and it would still run on it. Its race prepared, so maybe that helps, but you gotta love Hondas.

The funny thing is, it was so stale I could throw matches in the tub and it didn't catch fire. Do that with fresh fuel and you've got yourself a fireball.

Anyway, 5 more engines to go to the tip today and that will complete the workshop clean up. Then just 2 barns and a shed to do, who knows what I'll find :thumbs:

T-Mo

Yeah, it does look like a bowl full of urine. I'm surprised you could use it in that Honda. I know most of my stuff doesn't like old fuel.

TT

Are you sure it's not RICE wine? :thumbs:

That would explain why the Honda engine would burn it so well! :thumbs:

combatmp29r

Yep looks like urine to me Jim. The old Army multifuel 6x6s are like that. We used to run them off all the crap tyhat the small engines wouldnt burn. :thumbs:

Mith

I guess its because they are such high compression. I must try putting diesel in it sometime.

RED-85-Z51

Ive got a GX-200 Honda that Ive modded....

14cc GX160 head, ported and milled flat

modded cooling fan

160 flywheel, timing advanced to 26* BTDC total

flat top piston

----

I can barely recoil it still, supposedly 12.5:1 compression and HAS to be run on 93 or better or it pings like crazy.

But it's a blast on my Kart.

Nick

Mith, Whats your scrap steel worth over there? Last I hauled to the scrap yard the unsorted tin and steel was worth around $140 for 2,000 pounds and sorted was around $200 a ton. Just sorting the scrap from what steel was on my garage floor got me $75 last time. :thumbs:

Mith

Red, this engine has had similar work. Timing is the same I think though. Spins at 6K flat out. I have 2 of these that are runners, and countless more with holes in the block. They were used for endurance racing, and doing 6K for 6 hours takes its toll. You have to rebuild after each race, and with 2 engines per kart its expensive.

Nick, steel is at $160/ton. Not worth the effort and extra fuel to drive to the scrap yard so I just dump it.

Alley @ $4000/ton, and copper @ $7000/ton, thats worth the effort (just).