Sign in to follow this  

1964 1054 3 speed 1 1/8 axles

hi, i have a 1054 tractor that i want to use for a tiller. the 3 speed wont cut it . i have to transplant a low range tranny. anyway, my question is, what do i have here? it has long axles. 1 1/8 in diameter.its odd, but is this desirable? im looking for options. can i use 8 speed cases and internals and use these bigger axles and diff? if not, i plan to use the short 8 speed tranny with offset ford car rims and 30x9.50x15 mud grip tires. thank you. jimmy

pfrederi

The tranny will not care what length axles you use

ok. well, all i have are the low range trannys that are 1 inch axles. dont have any 1 1/8 axle 8 speeds. thanks. jimmy

Kelly

I don't know all the details but the axles from your trans will not fit a 8 speed with out machine work, and the bolt pattern to mount the trans to the frame is different, you will have to drill the frame, it can be done just not abolt in, a menber here did it. Rollerman I belive is the one you want to ask.

clintonnut

Don't use the 1054 differential. You can use the 1054 axles if you grind a groove for the c clip on the differential end of the axle. I just did it today for my 953. Used 953 axles with an 8 pinion rear. Done this 2 times now.

I'm not sure if the standard 8 spd axles provide enough length for the rims used on your tractor. You'll have to experiment.

Good luck finding a cheap 8spd!

Charlie

linen beige

On another note, the rear mount tillers won't hook up to a 1054.