Sign in to follow this  
abrown0920

702 transmission leak

abrown0920

I am working on a full restore for my 702 and I believe I have a small leak issue at the brake seal. I am pretty sure that the napa part numbers for these seals were posted last year but I can't find them. Is this most likely just a seal leak and easy fix or should I be concerned about a bigger issue. It drove and shifted fine before the tear down.

IMAG0074.jpg

Thanks for any help!

rickv1957

Based on what you have said a seal should take care of your leak,trans looks pretty clean in picture,Rick

rmaynard

Check out this post:

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?...c=17168&hl=5025

It might help you. You should have a 5025 tranny.

Both of my 1977 8-speeds had leaks at the brake seal. Seems to be a weak spot on all of these units.

Bob

Horse'n Around

Can that seal be replaced with the trans intact or does it require splitting the cases?

John

rmaynard

I'm sure someone will chime in with a definitive answer on that, but I would think that it could be replaced without opening the case.

Bob

rickv1957

You can replace seal with trans intact,just use a pick and carefully pry old seal out,Rick

Horse'n Around

You can replace seal with trans intact,just use a pick and carefully pry old seal out,Rick

Thanks you for the answer. That seal looks so thin that from the picture I couldnt tell if it was externally accessable or not. Its good to know that it is for future reference.

Thanks again,

John

stevasaurus

the seal you need is Toro or Wheel Horse part #1232...it is available from your Toro dealer. You probably can match it up at the auto shop, but I did not . The seal is inexpensive compared to some of the bearings in that trans. I would change the fluid also, just to see. Piece of mind. :omg:

pfrederi

Toro 1232 is CR 9815 for the 1" brake shafts.