Sign in to follow this  
HankB

Trick to remove 314-H parking brake lever?

HankB

Any suggestions for removing the 3/32 pin that holds the parking brake lever in place? I want to remove that panel to repaint it. It's starting to rust along the bottom edge.

Here's what it looks like for those unfamiliar:

DSC_1777-PP.JPG

thanks,

hank

MalMac

Thats a roll pin, use a small punch and drive it out. You might want to soak it with penetrating oil like PB Blaster first. Be careful not to hit so hard as to bend the little rod that it is mounted to. Also be careful not to use too small a punch and end up mushrooming out the roll pin by driving the punch down thru the pin and expanding it.

HankB

Hi Malmac1,

Thanks for the tip. Lucky for me, pin punches are on sale at Harbor Freight right now (and come in fractional inch sizes.) I gave it a little soak with PB Blaster and tapped it with a hammer. I think I might have moved it a tiny bit and then it stopped moving. So I broke out the air chisel and gave it a few taps using a blunt tip.

I've found an air chisel to work well for a lot of stuff like this because it can be used to apply a lot of small impacts that do the job w/out the risk of damage you'd get swinging a bigger hammer. (I bet it would be useful for freeing stuck rear hubs w/out causing further damage.)

Only down side is I didn't release the trigger quite fast enough and the roll pin took flight. But that should be easy to replace. :omg:

thanks,

hank

C-Series14

They actually make roll pin punches. They have a small pin on the bottom of the that fits inside the roll pin center then it holds it centered on the roll pin. Regular punch will work, keep it near the same size of the roll pin and soak it!!! :omg:

HankB

They actually make roll pin punches. They have a small pin on the bottom of the that fits inside the roll pin center then it holds it centered on the roll pin. Regular punch will work, keep it near the same size of the roll pin and soak it!!! :omg:

I had a regular pin punch. But I found that the pin was recessed on the underside of the lever so I used that as a guide. It worked well.