Sign in to follow this  
firemart

Tempted By Another

firemart

I have a guy offering to sell me a NICE 1988 JD 210 at a good price...I would have to sell the C-120 to keep DW happy, though...I'm tempted...Seriously. I need a working tractor, not a project. Talk me out of it, or tell me I may be better off with the JD. :omg:

rickv1957

The nice JD may need work also,stick with the best! :omg: Rick

zach l

i have a 74 110 i like it but its a little more complicated compared to a wheel horse

T-Mo

It's not an 88, the 210 was built from 1975 to 1987, has a 10 hp K-241 Kohler on it, a 4 speed Peerless gear drive transmission, with creeper gear and variator, which means you can change speeds in any of the gears. The JD 200 series were very heavy built, and the 210 will have the highest weight to hp ration of any JD tractor as the tractor weights close to 800 lbs with deck.

The JD 200 series are one of the best values in garden tractors and attachments are readily available used on ebay, wfm, craig's list and other places. If it runs good, the variator is in good working order and the transmission shifts easily without grinding, they're a good buy.

Here's the web site for the older JD garden tractors: http://www.weekendfreedommachines.com/

BTW, I moved this to the proper section, the off-brand section.

Coadster32

You may very well have to find another site if you ditch the C-120. :omg:

jpmcleod

I told you I would come get the C-120 next week if you tell me where in Alabama you live and how much you want for it. I have a JD212 and I would rather have a Wheel Horse anytime.

One thing JD owners don't really talk about but the belts on a JD is under the tractor and hard to get to. The belts on a Wheel Horse are on the side and easy to install. I like the WH's.

W9JAB

:omg: :D:D :D

Save Old Iron

Here is a list of serial numbers to clear up which year it actually is.

Keep us updated on your decision.

Year Serial Number

1975... 30,001-55,000

1976... 55,001-70,000

1977... 70,001-80,000

1978... 80,001-95,000

1979... 95,001-120,000

1980... 120,001-155,000

1981... 155,001-190,000

1982... 190,001-222,000

1983... 222,001-285,000

1984... 285,001-315,000

1985... 315,001-360,000

1986... 360,001-420,000

1987... 420,001-475,000

firemart

He wants $500 for it, and will deliver it. It has no mechanical issues, good paint with minor scratches. He says it's the best mower he has had. One thing that I am discovering, is, that there are a ton of parts on Ebay for these tractors at a very good price.

I am seriously considering this... :omg:

bmuone

Firemart I say go for it. Sounds like you have perhaps already made your mind up. BUT sell that WH to jpmcleod!! There are some good John Deeres and good folks to help you when you need it. I guess you know however that there will be......NO MORE MILK FOR YOU. :omg:

firemart

If the Horse has to go, I want it to go to someone like jpm, that will be able to do something with it. At least you guys know a lot about it...LOL. I have no idea of what to price it at, either. :omg:

bmuone

No one does....its between you and jpm and I'll bet he'll be honest with you. Good luck..

rickv1957

Keep and fix the horse,then you will have a backup! :omg: Rick

firemart

Model # C210H

Serial # 100755M

$500, in great condition. I have to decide.

T-Mo

It's a 1979, here's the info:

Attached Image

post-11-1272380561.jpg

firemart

I'm on the verge of pulling the trigger, thanks to T-Mo's informative replies. It looks like a robust machine, and I followed the WFM link, and the folks there LOVE the 200 Series tractors.

firemart

Ditto. I didn't get it either. I don't think he likes me very much. :omg:

T-Mo

One thing to consider here is the complexity of the variator drive system. A couple of posters were correct on the complex design and the fact that the two drive belts aren't easily accessible. One thing is never move the variator lever when the engine is NOT running. It may lock up the system and the tractor will not go forward or reverse under it's own power. But if it does happen, start the engine and just move the variator lever, that usually unlocks the system. There are two drive belts, one from the engine to the variator pulley (that belt is called the primary drive belt) and then a second belt, the secondary drive belt, from the variator to the transmission. For a summary of the JD 110 (an older version of the 200 series), check this bias comparison:

http://cubcadet.1.forumer.com/index.php?ac...ype=post&id=419

The main thing is keep the variator pulley lubricated, don't move the lever when the engine isn't running, and just perform the usual maintenance and you will be fine. I had a 210 and a 214 and never had a problem with either. :omg:

W9JAB

firemart

I don't like or dislike you, however I do stand by my first post

regarding your tractor,

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=17767

That I was severely chastised for posting.

:omg:

Kelly

I own 50+ WH tractors and love them, but I mow with a JD it out mows any tractor I've used, granted my JD is a lawn tractor LX188 with a water cooled Kaw, and foot controled hydro, with a 48" deck not a garden tractor but I only use it to mow, and have for 10+ years and I'm sure many more, I also have a JD 214 and a 110 they are very heavy duty machines, not as easy to work on, but well built, parts can be had about anyplace, attachments are not cheap but what is that is well built.

I say buy it and don't look back, you need something you can use now not in 6 months after sinking a few more $$$ in the WH, to bad the WH was not in better shape and only needed minor work so you could be using it while you worked on it. just my two cents.

wheel horse 1045

Kelly i hate to admit it but the best cutting tractor i had was a 214 JD but the motor went bad and now just wh here and proud of it but there are others i would enjoy having.but i will say this if i have a choice of a wh or jd im going home with a wh hands down but thats just me :omg:

jpmcleod

T-Mo and W9JAB. You guys ar terrible. I love it. :omg:

T-Mo

T-Mo and W9JAB. You guys ar terrible. I love it. :D

Actually I'm still at a loss of what's so funny about a member asking honest, and sincere questions. It shouldn't matter if it's a JD, it was posted in this section for off-brand tractors. :omg: