Sign in to follow this  
scifi4all

Crossed state lines!

scifi4all

On, Friday, I drove 215 miles one way to Maryland from Pa. to purchase this 1976 C-120. The man I bought it from is in the military and was stationed in Ma. He got it for free from a friend, who's father only used it for tilling. Until three years ago when he passed away. It supposedly has sat in the barn ever since. Was running when parked. The guy I got it from only wanted it for the engine.

It has a tiller, front & rear wheel weights. All pros, the cons are the tiller moves freely, but has almost no fluid in it. The transmission moves through the gears, but has no fluid in it. The engine has oil in it but it would not start, has pretty good compression. I have not had a chance to mess with it yet. Also the right side tires will not hold air for more than 1/2 a day due to dry rot. What was I thinking! :omg:

I really just wanted the weights and tiller. We will see how much effort I will put into the tractor. Here are some pics, enjoy!

P4230001-1.jpgP4230006.jpg

P4230003.jpgP4230015.jpg

P4230010.jpgP4230014.jpg

P4230016.jpgP4230005.jpg

P4230004.jpg

May have some wiring issues and it doesn't look much different after pressure washing.

jpmcleod

Looking at the great shape all the sheet metal is in, I would definately make that a keeper. The other stuff is only elementary. I say it over and over, I wish I could find tractors in that shape. All the ones I find have rusty sheet metal and has to be repaired. The foot rest and belt guard look as though they need no repair. The hood and fender pan looks great. I would drive 215 miles for it especially if the price was right.

KeithB

Nice C-120 :omg:

Shuboxlover

If you got it for $200 I would say you did alright!!!!

I would have paid that for it in a heart beat, especially with the original cast front weights!!!!

scifi4all

I paid a little more, but like I said I really wanted the wheel weights, especially the fronts. I needed a little more weight on the front tires when snowblowing. The Tiller, with all its parts was just a bonus. The tractor does have potential.

The only place with severe rust is the barely there battery tray. There must have been a battery leak at some point. Also the front wheels really need new bearings. The front right have worn through both bearings to the point of riding on the inside sleeve of the wheel. :omg:

As for the price I got a little anxious when I should have relaxed and talked price. Live and learn. But I kind of committed to buying it (in my head) just by driving that distance. :D

rmaynard

Rolls.

Great deal. I offered $200.00 on my first try. Then my wife said "125 miles each way would make a nice road trip", and I email back with a $350.00 offer. The return email just said "SOLD".

Glad you got it. I sure could have used the engine, but I will find another. :omg:

Bob

rickv1957

Looks like a good buy there!!,Rick

KC9KAS

Well you got what you wanted, and bonus parts to boot!

Shuboxlover

:D :D:D sorry, I don't know where I got 200 from....(sometime things just pop into my head) Anyway......really I would have paid at least twice that with the tiller. Whatever you paid, I'm sure you're not upside down on it, you got a good machine, good accessories.

Good luck with it....

sorry for the confusion :omg::D

sometimes I need :D

tgranthamfd

Good job. As far as the tranny being nearly empty, fill er up and let her rip, those 8-speeds are tough. When I bought my C-160, I drove it around for a while before I checked the fluid level, nothing on the stick. Had a cracked boot so I figured it would have some water in it, that was an understatement. Put in 2 qts. and drove it around some then checked it, mostly foam now. flushed it 3 or 4 times with 10w 30 then filled with the right gear oil, it is still good and strong. Same on a C-100 8 speed, it froze solid over new years, when we got it thawed and drained, we got a pan of water with a silver dollar size oil slick in it. Flushed and filled, runs great. Good luck with it all.

Save Old Iron

Rolls,

In the 7th picture down - what are you holding between your fingers ??

mavfreak

I'm curious about that to. Looks like it might be a switch for the clutch or something

sorekiwi

Rolls,

I think thats the safety switch for the clutch pedal?

You should be happy Chuck, it hasnt been bypassed!!

wheelly

don't feel bad..i drove halfway across indiana almost all the way across ohio to get my 653. it was so bad when i got it i almost parted it out. But i restored it and now im glad i did. It makes a person feel proud when u drive it after all the hard work and a little cash. :omg:

scifi4all

The switch I am holding is the PTO safety switch. I am not sure if it is original or not. The clutch safety switch looks a little rusty. We will see if it is working.

I will have to review all the recent postings regarding the use of multimeters and engine wiring.

Bob your offer of $350 would have tied with me. Like I mentioned I really wanted the weights and the tiller was the bonus.

As for the tranny, since it shifted through the gears and Hi/Low, I was planning on filling it as soon as I get the engione running. The shifter boots are gone, so I will need to get those replaced.

I'm happy with it, just need to get started on it. I will post some updates on it when I get it running.

:omg:

rmaynard

I think you got a real good deal. Since I can't buy the engine from you, I will tell you that the safety switch is still available, as is the shifter boot (only one, the Hi/Lo doesn't get a boot. Don't buy the safety switch from Toro, it's too expensive. Some come up on eBay now and then, and Stens has a switch for a lot less than Toro. The part number is 430-193 (normally open).

Because the wiring is so simple on the C series, you should have no problem get this one going.

Bob

Save Old Iron

Rolls,

I think thats the safety switch for the clutch pedal?

You should be happy Chuck, it hasnt been bypassed!!

Its just well ... er .... I get all my tractors second hand and never seen a real live functional one before.

They have all been removed !! :omg: