Sign in to follow this  
psolver1

Greetings and Salutations

psolver1

One of my best friends gave me his grandfather's old tractor. It has been sitting for a while, but My Brother and I once drove a Toyota Land Cruiser from Alabama to Montana which a month previous to our departure had sat for 15 years in a field and still looked like it. So "sitting for a while" I consider to kind of like aging a fine wine. I myself know that once in history there was lawn tractor company named Wheel Horse, we have now surpassed the scope of my knowledge on Wheel Horses, There fore if you folks would be interested in enlightening me on the machinery I have been graced with the possession of, I would be greatly appreciative. If you have any suggestion as to paths I should take, I would also listen intently, But I don't think I will have time to drive it to Montana (somebody beet me to the cross country lawn mower thing).

WheelHorse10.jpg

WheelHorse8.jpg

WheelHorse.jpg

W9JAB
Matorhorse002-1-1.jpg

Indy w h

Welcome to the square !!!

Nice horse there !!!

Indy

mavfreak

:omg:

I think the seat would be uncomfortable for a trip to Montana. Nice set of disks!

VinsRJ

:D

Wow, not a lot of padd'n on that seat. :omg:

hotrodmerc

Nice find Welcome :omg:

Coadster32

Sparky

Welcome to Redsquare!

You have been given a 1971 or 1972 Wheel Horse Bronco 14 with a Sundstrand auto tranny.

1-0420 or 1-0421 makes it a 1971.

1-0422 or 1-0423 makes it a 1972.

It looks like the ID tag is still intact and under your dash. Check it out and let us know what you have.

Mike.........

rmaynard

Very nice find there. Obviously the left side took a little more weather abuse than the right, but otherwise, not too bad.

If you want to restore it, I would take some time to gather all the information that you can get from the folks here on the Square. Find out what parts you need and whether or not they are still available from Toro. Those that aren't, you may be able to find on eBay or from posting a "wanted" ad here.

After you have determined that you can get what you need to restore it, start tearing her down, and building her back up.

And give us lots of pictures along the way.

Bob

JimD

Roger from southern Iowa

:D

Pretty good looking tractor. :omg:

rickv1957

Hello and :omg: Rick

Duff

Psolver, :D !

You're well on your way - you have a fine tractor, and you've found the most informative site on the Internet to learn all about the history of these great red machines and how we have come to love them. The best way to learn about your machine and Wheel Horse in general is to spend some time digging around this forum, and asking a lot of questions.

WARNING: Acquiring a Wheel Horse may be addictive. Symptoms include an overwhelming desire to visit this web site, long periods spent in a garage or workshop with beverage of choice staring at a red tractor, planning a minor repair that somehow morphs into a major overhaul, even if not needed, and setting out to touch up the paint leading to a complete frame-off rebuild or restoration. :D

Welcome aboard!

Duff :omg:

bllwnkl

Hello, and :omg: Keep us posted about your plans. Good luck with everything.

Randy

Suburban 550

:D Nice find. :omg:

KeithB

tgranthamfd

:omg: There may be a couple of Bronco owners on here, including one Moderator. That big ole disk will come in handy too.

MikesRJ

WH854

:omg: :D

Chas

Operator

Yup you need a seat :omg:

A little SOS pad on the hubcaps might not hurt either , another :D here.

Hydro lift, rear clevis hitch , you got a nice tractor project!! Might need a battery too.

I'll bet you ain't married! My wife would see that and say " What the H*** you gonna do with that?"

OH ya :D

Randy

gwgdog66

:D Be advised 1 :D will lead to 2 :D 2 will lead to 3 :D until you have to build a horse barn :D You will really enjoy this place. :omg:

horsefeathers

Psolver1, Fine wine, fine women, and fine Wheel Horse tractors theres nothing like it! Feel the back of our neck, feel those lumps? oooohhhh yeeeaaa! you've been bitten' and there is no cure don't even look for one, your out look is dismal! I see a lot of Horses in your future! :omg::D HORSEFEATHERS!

psolver1

Thanks for noticing that Mike,

I'm 6'3'' so reaching the tomatoes underneath the sneeze guard and seeing underneath dashes are not my forte.

IDTag.jpg

Robert

So did Wheel Horse make 782,000 ish machines that year, or up to that point?

psolver1

Yup you need a seat :omg:

A little SOS pad on the hubcaps might not hurt either , another :D here.

Hydro lift, rear clevis hitch , you got a nice tractor project!! Might need a battery too.

I'll bet you ain't married! My wife would see that and say " What the H*** you gonna do with that?"

OH ya :D

Randy

In fact I am married and in a total turn of coincidence, the same week I received this Bronco 14 my wife made me go buy a new mower (Toro zero turn) so i could actually mow grass instead of just messing around with old mowers nursing them along. I had been dragging my feet for a year.

chesbaycruiser

...in a total turn of coincidence, the same week I received this Bronco 14 my wife made me go buy a new mower (Toro zero turn) so i could actually mow grass instead of just messing around with old mowers...

It's the best of both worlds Psolver!

I love restoring and using my Wheel Horse(s), but once you get the ZTR figured out, mowing is never the same again on a conventional tractor!!!

wheel_horse4.jpg